• If your have CLUB EVENTS/RIDE & would like to announce it here,
    Message traxxas-modifier about it :-)

Hard Shifting Stock Sniper Mx?

newbie question here. im having a problem shifting gears on my sniper MX because its hard and steep.. im also a owner of sniper classic but i never experience hard shifting on classic. is there anyway to fix this problem?

Adrian Relato

newbie question here. im having a problem shifting gears on my sniper MX because its hard and steep.. im also a owner of sniper classic but i never experience hard shifting on classic. is there anyway to fix this problem?

bro mx owner here...did you already change your oil? i experienced that too i just change my oil..prob fixed..based on my observation and experience, yamalube is only good up to 700 km if you reached that shifting gears change dramatically contrary to what 3smechanic recommends.
unless theres a serious prob.

bro mx owner here...did you already change your oil? i experienced that too i just change my oil..prob fixed..based on my observation and experience, yamalube is only good up to 700 km if you reached that shifting gears change dramatically contrary to what 3smechanic recommends.
unless theres a serious prob.
my gauge reading is 7K+ and i do change oil often. at yzone.. but they only use yamalube on my MC. any oil recommendation?

At 7k on the odo, maybe time for some semi-synthetic or full synthetic. Will help to smooth things out.
what is semi and full synthetic oil? sorry newbie question.. what oil do you recommend for my sniper MX?? also what type of oil is yamalube? thanks for the reply!

jcm1130

Super Veteran
what is semi and full synthetic oil? sorry newbie question.. what oil do you recommend for my sniper MX?? also what type of oil is yamalube? thanks for the reply!
i still use yamahalube.. its like a mineral base oil..
do not use synthetic oil, it will shorten the lifespan of your clutch lining.. IMO
because the oil used by the engine and the clutch system is merely similar..

Adrian Relato

projectdimpreza
fully synthetic oil might cause prob in clutch lining depending on the brand of oil. Check with the label, repsol fully synthetic 10w 50 and 20w 50 is specially designed for wet clutches and also mobil 1 fully synthetic. so far i dont experience any prob with repsol. i havent tried mobil 1 because its expensive. i would advice you go have it check at yzone for you to make sure.

projectdimpreza
fully synthetic oil might cause prob in clutch lining depending on the brand of oil. Check with the label, repsol fully synthetic 10w 50 and 20w 50 is specially designed for wet clutches and also mobil 1 fully synthetic. so far i dont experience any prob with repsol. i havent tried mobil 1 because its expensive. i would advice you go have it check at yzone for you to make sure.
do u experience shifting from 2nd gear to 1st gear but it shifts in neutral ? im sure i fully hold the clutch when shifting... but most of the time when im in low speed it shifts in neutral instead of 1st gear.. by the way i have no problem shifting from neutral to 5th gear on high speeds.. problem comes in low speed.

Adrian Relato

do u experience shifting from 2nd gear to 1st gear but it shifts in neutral ? im sure i fully hold the clutch when shifting... but most of the time when im in low speed it shifts in neutral instead of 1st gear.. by the way i have no problem shifting from neutral to 5th gear on high speeds.. problem comes in low speed.
no hard shifting from 2nd to 1st gear. sometimes bro its a matter of timing. what i experienced though is when im in 5th gear and i suddenly stop, and i need to go back to low gears i still have to move the bike forward a bit for it to kick in. i guess its normal in manual transmission but if you feel like theres a serious prob go to yzone have it check.

Adrian Relato

sometimes bro its really hard to diagnose if theres a prob. if you have a friend who also have mx try to compare. but you check what oil he's using., from that you can have your baseline. just an idea

sometimes bro its really hard to diagnose if theres a prob. if you have a friend who also have mx try to compare. but you check what oil he's using., from that you can have your baseline. just an idea
i experience this since i got the bike 7 months ago.. maybe its not as smooth in shifting unlike the sniper classic 4 speed.

Adrian Relato

i dont experience that on my bike bro only when its time for me to change oil but shifting is not that hard. I think you need to have that checked so you can avoid further damages and expensive maintenance cost it the future.

Paladin

Super Veteran
Bro, try to adjust your clutch deeper. Gears will not switch properly if your clutch is shallow. No problem with yamalube since you are make change oil regularly.

Bro, try to adjust your clutch deeper. Gears will not switch properly if your clutch is shallow. No problem with yamalube since you are make change oil regularly.

how do i adjust the clutch? i remember adjusting the two nuts in the clutch cable is that what your pointing to ?

jefplacido

Super Veteran
how do i adjust the clutch? i remember adjusting the two nuts in the clutch cable is that what your pointing to ?
by removing the front panel cover (the headlight with front panel fairings)
then you will see the adjuster on the clutch lever imo,not the two nuts below your clutch cable located at the crankcase,but it is interchangeable

Paladin

Super Veteran
The easiest way is to adjust clutch height clearance above the crank case or if you use racing boy lever, you can adjust adjust it there.

by removing the front panel cover (the headlight with front panel fairings)
then you will see the adjuster on the clutch lever imo,not the two nuts below your clutch cable located at the crankcase,but it is interchangeable
im using sniper MX is that the same with sniper classic? if i remove the front fairings is clutch adjuster u saying is the same location in MX and classic?

In my experience shifting goes smooth when im running on high speed.. example 30- 40 kph.. but when im below 20 kph or in idle... shifting is hard, gear hits something before its shifts.