Today's Devotional
BOOKMARK

0:00 iTunesDownload MP3
April 17

Choices Matter
Bible in a Year :

2 Samuel 1-2
Luke 14:1-24
There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.

Proverbs 14:12
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Today's Scripture & Insight :

Proverbs 14:8-12
Pastor Damian’s schedule included hospital visits to two people nearing death who’d chosen two different life paths. In one hospital was a woman beloved by her family. Her selfless public service had endeared her to many. Other believers in Jesus had gathered around her, and worship, prayer, and hope filled the room. In another hospital, the relative of a member of Pastor Damian’s church was also dying. His hardened heart had led to a hard life, and his disheveled family lived in the wake of his poor decisions and misdeeds. The differences in the two atmospheres reflected the contrasts in how each had lived.

Those who fail to consider where they’re headed in life often find themselves stuck in uncomfortable, undesirable, and lonely places. Proverbs 14:12 notes that “there is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.” Young or old, sick or well, wealthy or impoverished—it’s not too late to reexamine our path. Where will it lead? Does it honor God? Does it help or disrupt others? Is it the best path for a believer in Jesus?

Choices do matter. And the God of heaven will help us make the best choices as we turn to Him through His Son, Jesus, who said, “Come to me, . . . and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

By: Arthur Jackson

Sign in to track your progress!

SIGN IN
Reflect & Pray
What about your path of life needs reexamination or correction? What’s keeping you from asking for God’s help and courage to make corrections?

Dear Jesus, You’re the source of life. Please give me the courage and strength to surrender my life to You and do what honors You.

For further study, read Taking Sin Seriously.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional
BOOKMARK

April 18

God’s Tender Love
Bible in a Year :

2 Samuel 3-5
Luke 14:25-35
To them I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek.

Hosea 11:4
COMMENT
JOURNAL

Hosea 11:1-4
A 2017 video of a dad comforting his two-month-old son while the baby received his routine vaccinations garnered international attention for the way it captured a dad’s love for his child. After the nurse finished administering the vaccinations, the dad tenderly held his son close to his cheek, and the boy stopped sobbing within seconds. There’s almost nothing more reassuring than the tender care of a loving parent.

In Scripture, there are many beautiful descriptions of God as a loving parent, images that invoke God’s deep love for His children. Old Testament prophet Hosea was given a message to deliver to the Israelites living in the Northern Kingdom during the time of the divided kingdom. He called them to return to a relationship with God. Hosea reminded the Israelites of God’s love for them as he pictured God as a gentle Father: “when Israel was a child, I loved him” (Hosea 11:1) and “to them I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek” (v. 4).

This same reassuring promise of God’s loving care is true for us. Whether we seek His tender care after a season where we’ve rejected His love or because of pain and suffering in our lives, He calls us His children (1 John 3:1) and His comforting arms are open to receive us (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).

By: Lisa M. Samra

SIGN IN
Reflect & Pray
How have you experienced the love of God as a caring Father? What concerns might you bring to Him today?

Heavenly Father, thank You that You call me Your child and provide tender care when I run to You.

boldstardex

Staff member
RESPONSE TO A PROVOKED SPIRIT
April 18, 2024

“Now while Paul was waiting for them in Athens, his spirit was being provoked within him as he observed that the city was full of idols.”
Acts 17:16

Think about the last time you were in an airport.

You’re at your gate, ready to board your flight. An eclectic group of travelers surrounds you. Sitting next to you is a businesswoman on an important call. Across sits the young couple, infatuated with each other as they prepare for a weekend away. In the distance, you see a teenager’s eyes glued to his phone. A devout Muslim reads a magazine, wearing her hijab. A pair of Mormon missionaries dressed in traditional white shirts, name tags, and ties are watching the news on a monitor.

An airport is one of the best reminders that we are in a world full of different people, each with different idols. (And yes, we ALL have idols.)

However, like Paul, our spirits should be provoked from within.

What does it mean to be provoked? It means to be impassioned or inspired.

An idol might be religion, business success, or money. Our hearts may become devoted to sports, hobbies, politics, or even another person. Basically, an idol is anything we worship, that we place in the highest priority in our lives – other than the One True God.

Paul was surrounded by idols. The years changed, but some things consistently stayed the same. Paul’s heart was stirred. We see his love for Jesus as well as those far from God. What follows in Acts 17 is a masterclass at how to engage a lost world with the gospel.

Take a moment now and read Acts 17:16-34.

Paul, amazingly, was granted the stage at Mars Hill in front of many who had never heard of Jesus. He found an area of commonality (Verse 22). He affirmed their devotion. Some of the Athenians were Epicureans, finding ultimate value in pleasure. Others were Stoics, focusing on self-mastery when it came to passions and emotions. Regardless of beliefs and philosophies, many were open to new ideas (Acts 17:19). While quick to affirm, Paul was also quick to challenge some of their ideas (Acts 17:24-25) appropriately.

Paul then laid out the gospel in a manner that his audience would easily understand.

In reading Acts 17, you may have noticed that Paul wasn’t preaching from the Bible. His audience, much like our present-day secular world, doesn’t know anything about the Bible and, therefore, has no respect for it or the truths it embodies.

Paul is preaching Biblical themes.

You might be surprised to hear a preacher say this, but in talking with the lost, there are times when we don’t need to start with the Bible! Paul was constantly discerning how to best communicate with his particular audience while never compromising the message.

As we share with others, we, too, need to find common ground as we address false worldviews and idols they may hold. We should always discern how to share the gospel, knowing our audience.

And finally, we must trust the results to God.

Acts 17 is not another Pentecost moment. Some rejected, some wanted to hear more, and a few followed (Acts 17:34).

Success is actually not found in the results.

Success is found in obedience as the Holy Spirit provokes our hearts.

How is your heart?

Is it provoked (impassioned) by the desire to share the Gospel?

May it be so, Lord. May it be.

Taken from a sermon by Bryant Wright, Founder, RFTH

DIG DEEPER
Read “Are You Willing to Share Your Faith?” also by Bryant Wright

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
0:00
iTunesDownload MP3

April 22
Community in Christ
Bible in a Year :
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:12

COMMENT
JOURNAL
Ecclesiastes 4:7-12
“I knew that the only way to succeed was to forget about home and my wife, son, and daughter,” said Jordon. “I’ve found I can’t do that. They’re woven into the fabric of my heart and soul.” Alone in a remote area, Jordon was participating in a reality show where contestants are asked to survive outdoors with minimal supplies for as long as possible. What forced him to forfeit was not the grizzly bears, freezing temperatures, injury, or hunger, but an overwhelming loneliness and desire to be with his family.
We might have all the survival skills necessary for the wilderness, but separating ourselves from community is a sure way to fail. The wise author of Ecclesiastes said, “Two are better than one, because . . . one can help the other up” (4:9-10). Christ-honoring community, even with all its messiness, is essential to our thriving. We don’t stand a chance against the trials of this world if we try to tackle them on our own. Someone who toils alone, toils in vain (v. 8). Without community, we’re more susceptible to danger (vv. 11-12). Unlike a single thread, “a cord of three strands is not quickly broken” (v. 12). The gift of a loving, Christ-focused community is one that not only provides encouragement, but also gives us strength to thrive despite challenging situations. We need each other.
By: Karen Pimpo
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
How can you commit to spending time with the family of believers? Who around you is isolated and in need?
Father, thank You for the gift of community! Open my heart to love and spend time with others today.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional
BOOKMARK

April 23

Jesus—The True Peacemaker
Bible in a Year :

2 Samuel 16-18
Luke 17:20-37
I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.

John 16:33
COMMENT
JOURNAL

John 16:25-33
On December 30, 1862, the US Civil War raged. Union and Confederate troops camped seven hundred yards apart on opposing sides of Tennessee’s Stones River. As they warmed themselves around campfires, Union soldiers picked up their fiddles and harmonicas and began playing “Yankee Doodle.” In reply, the Confederate soldiers offered “Dixie.” Remarkably, both sides joined for a finale, playing “Home, Sweet Home” in unison. Sworn enemies shared music in the dark night, glimmers of an unimagined peace. The melodic truce was short-lived, however. The next morning, they put down their fiddles and picked up their rifles, and 24,645 soldiers died.

Our human efforts to create peace inevitably wear thin. Hostilities cease in one place, only to ignite somewhere else. One relational dispute finds harmony, only to be embroiled in distress again months later. The Scriptures tell us that God is our only trustworthy peacemaker. Jesus said it plainly, “In me you . . . have peace” (John 16:33). We have peace in Jesus. While we participate in His peacemaking mission, it’s God’s reconciliation and renewal that make real peace possible.

Christ tells us we can’t escape conflict. “In this world [we] will have trouble,” Jesus says. Strife abounds. “But take heart!” He adds, “I have overcome the world” (v. 33). While our efforts often prove futile, our loving God (v. 27) makes peace in this fractious world.

By: Winn Collier

SIGN IN
Reflect & Pray
Where do you see humans working for peace? How is God’s peacemaking different?

Dear God, please show me the way of peace.

For further study, read Finding Peace in a Troubled World.

boldstardex

Staff member
SEEKING GOD’S WILL THROUGH PRAYER
April 23, 2024
“When you ask, you do not receive because you ask with wrong motives.”
James 4:3

Ever been disappointed or puzzled by the results (or lack thereof) of your prayers?

Maybe you’ve even wondered if God is really there. Or if He is, maybe He isn’t going to answer YOUR prayers.

I’ve got great news for you:

God is always faithful, and His Word is 100% accurate.
Every. Single. Time.

Psalm 33:4 reminds us; “For the word of the Lord is upright; and all His work is done in faithfulness.”

Most people pray. In fact, you’ll find little argument from people about the importance of prayer.

But the reality is that prayer can often be disappointing to us – meaning we don’t always get the results we desire.

Why is that?

Well, James 4:3 gives us one reason, “When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives.”

Prayer is not so much about asking God for what We want, as it is about discovering what He wants for us.

When our prayers are meant to get to know God, find strength, and do His will, they bring tremendous results—sometimes even supernatural results. This kind of praying is powerful because you get plugged into the ultimate power source—the God of the universe.

How is your prayer life? Is it fulfilling or disappointing? Remember to check your motives, for your heart is the key.

Why don’t you take a moment right now and talk with God to seek His will?

And don’t forget to be still and listen for His answer.

Written by Bryant Wright, Founder, RFTH

DIG DEEPER
Read “Prayer is Our Spiritual Power Source” also by Bryant Wright

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
0:00
iTunesDownload MP3

April 24
United Diversity in Christ
Bible in a Year :
God has placed the parts in the body . . . just as he wanted them to be.
1 Corinthians 12:18

COMMENT
JOURNAL
1 Corinthians 12:12-14, 21-27
In his essay “Service and the Spectrum,” Professor Daniel Bowman Jr. writes of the difficulty of navigating decisions about how to serve his church as an autistic person. He explains, “Autistic people have to forge a new path forward every single time, a unique path that takes into account . . . mental, emotional, and physical energy . . . alone/recharging time; sensory inputs and comfort level . . . time of day; whether or not we’re being valued for our strengths and accommodated for our needs rather than excluded for perceived deficits; and much more.” For many people, Bowman writes, such decisions, “while reorienting people’s time and energy, likely will not undo them. Those same decisions might well undo me.”
Bowman believes that the vision of mutuality Paul describes in 1 Corinthians 12 could be a healing solution. There, in verses 4-6, Paul describes God uniquely gifting each of His people for “the common good” (v. 7). Each is an “indispensable” member of Christ’s body (v. 22). When churches come to understand each person’s unique, God-given wiring and gifting, instead of pressuring everyone to help in the same way, they can support their members to serve in ways that fit their giftings.
In this way, each person can find flourishing and wholeness and be secure in their valued place in Christ’s body (v. 26).
By: Monica La Rose
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
How have you been blessed by others’ unique gifts? How can churches encourage diverse ways to serve?
Dear God, thank You for creating us all uniquely. Please help me to value every member of Christ’s body.

boldstardex

Staff member
BEARING FRUIT – HOW GOD DOES IT
April 24, 2024

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.”
John 15:1

In Chapter 15 of the Gospel of John, Jesus uses an agricultural allegory to explain how his followers are to bear spiritual fruit.

First, let’s define what we mean by spiritual fruit. Ultimately, it is becoming more like Jesus and making disciples. Galatians 5:22-23 tells us that the fruit of the Spirit is “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” In addition, spiritual fruit refers to those who follow Jesus because of our co-laboration for the Gospel.

Now that we understand what spiritual fruit is:

How do we bring it about in our lives?

This is the beautiful part: We don’t!

Our role is to abide. God’s role is to bring about fruit.

In John 15:1, Jesus explains that He is the Vine and God is the Vinedresser. Later on in the chapter, we are referred to as branches. Branches cannot bear fruit if they aren’t connected to the Vine. Jesus is saying that our spiritual fruit can only come through Him.

He also talks about God as the Vinedresser or Gardner. He has two roles: to prune branches that bear fruit and to cut away dead branches. Gardeners will prune fruit-bearing branches to increase their yield in the coming seasons. God does this in our lives, too. This pruning process can often be painful and uncomfortable. It involves the cutting away of habits and thoughts that do not align with God. However, God’s pruning is always done with care and precision. He only prunes that which is fruitful, and He does so to produce more fruit.

His second job is to cut away dead branches. This can refer to people who don’t truly know Christ. They may profess to be believers, but their lives have no likeness to God’s. In other words, they are not bearing any fruit.

If your life is not bearing fruit, you may want to question your connection to the Vine.

Pruning is a painful process and often feels uncomfortable. Nonetheless, it is necessary for our spiritual health.

Is there anything in your life that needs to be cut back?

Perhaps you have elevated your job, family, ministry, or relationship status above God.
Maybe you are living selfishly, struggling with pride, or holding onto greed.

Whatever it is, spend some time in prayer. Ask God to make you more like Him.

Remember, we serve a gracious God who will only prune that which is for our ultimate good.

Ready to be pruned?

Stay tuned for more on spiritual fruits tomorrow!

DIG DEEPER
Read “Spiritual Gifts” also by Bryant Wright

boldstardex

Staff member
BEARING FRUIT – OUR TURN
April 25, 2024
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.”
John 15:1

Yesterday, we discovered that God is the one who brings spiritual fruit to our lives.

Our role is to abide in Christ.

A branch unattached to the vine is unable to bear fruit. Likewise, apart from Christ, we cannot become more like Him.

To abide in Christ means to stay close or dwell with Him. This can take various forms, such as spending time in prayer and Bible study, serving in your local church, living a life of obedience to Christ’s commands, and sharing your faith with others.

When we abide in Christ, our lives are sure to reflect Him.

Rightfully understanding our role to abide takes all of the pressure off of us!

Often, people think we have to earn God’s favor or salvation: if we are good, God will accept us.

Jesus reverses the order! Instead, we are good because He has accepted us. The more we spend time with Jesus, the more we begin to look like Him. Fruit-bearing is a byproduct of our relationship with God.

What happens in our lives when we abide in Christ? First, our prayer lives are transformed. We begin to pray more God-centered prayers. Second, our love for God and neighbor increases. From this, we see people coming to Christ through our witness and ministry. We know God more, and therefore we love our neighbors more. Third, God deepens our joy. We see beyond our present trials and suffering and look to eternity. Last but not least, when we abide in Christ, God is glorified.

The life, death, and resurrection of Jesus make it possible for us to abide in Him. God’s role is to bring about spiritual fruit; our role is simply to remain in Him. Take some time today to consider your part in fruit-bearing. Do you find yourself attempting to take God’s role? Are you trying to earn his favor by doing good things? If so, remember the Gospel. You cannot save yourself; only God is capable of redeeming you.

Think about different ways to abide in Christ:

Are you spending time praying and studying the Bible?
Are you living a life of worship and obedience?
How are you loving God and your neighbor?

When we abide in Christ and trust Him, God will bring about great fruit in our lives.

Ready to bear fruit?

DIG DEEPER
Read “What Are Your Spiritual Fruits?” also by Bryant Wright

boldstardex

Staff member
DISCIPLINE ISN’T ALWAYS EASY
April 28, 2024
“My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.”
Proverbs 3:11-12

Have you ever been camping with a toddler?

Everything is new and exciting, especially that captivating bonfire. Why do toddlers seem to gravitate towards what could cause them harm? But what can appear to be unfair restrictions (like not getting too close to a blazing fire) are often helpful guardrails inviting us to experience what’s best.

In the same way, God offers us guardrails for life. If we claim to trust God with our lives but refuse to listen to the truth of His word, He will often get our attention.

You see, God is passionate about two things: His glory and our good.

He knows what is best for us and what we need. When we wander away from His truth, we can count on Him to lead us back through grace and love. He is not afraid of our rebellion and sin and will never give up on us. But God will open our eyes so that we can recognize our need for Him. The Bible calls this discipline. God wants us to see what is right, good, and true because He knows what we need.

Discipline, or correction, is never easy. We often believe that God corrects us out of anger. That idea, however, couldn’t be further from the truth.

Just like any good parent, God’s correction is out of love. In fact, He’s working to lead us back to His love and grace. I know this might be difficult to believe. Learning from our mistakes is rarely fun. But even through the challenging times, God is opening our eyes to see where we went wrong and ultimately recognize our need for a Savior.

Keeping that toddler away from the fire can be tough, and it will not be fun for the toddler. But it’s for their own good, whether they understand it or not.

Is God trying to get your attention? Are you experiencing some of God’s tough love right now?

Don’t fight it, and don’t run from it. Instead, let it lead you back to God’s love and grace. He wants you to know His best, and He loves you enough to reveal it to you.

Adapted from a sermon by Senior Pastor George Wright, Shades Mountain Baptist Church

DIG DEEPER
Read “Is God Disciplining Me?” by Michael Kelley

boldstardex

Staff member
AFRAID? FIX YOUR EYES ON JESUS
April 29, 2024

“For this reason, I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”
2 Timothy 1:6-7

Fear is someSthing we all wrestle with – if we are honest

Fear seems to impact us all in some form or fashion. Fear of failure, rejection, not measuring up, death, being alone, suffering… the list could go on. So, what can we do about it? Is there a way to live free from fear? God knew this would be a challenge for us, so throughout His Word, He speaks straight to the heart of the matter.

How can we live strong and courageous in the face of fear?

The answer lies in our focus. Realistically, there will never be a time in life completely free of reasons to fear. Life is uncertain; potential fears are everywhere. So, the question we must ask ourselves is this: Where are you looking? Are you focused on all the reasons you have to be afraid? Or are you focused on the God who tells us, Don’t be afraid?

Eyes fixed on God will lead to power, love, and self-control.

Eyes fixed elsewhere will lead to anxiety, uncertainty, and fear.

I love Paul’s language: “Fan into flame the gift of God” (2 Timothy 1:6). It brings to mind the image of a campfire. When you’re trying to get the fire started, you blow onto those few embers until suddenly, that small spark bursts into a flame.

What fire is growing in your life? A life of fear or a life of faith? Fix your eyes on Jesus, and you will see those huge fires of fear begin to subside—not because there’s suddenly no reason to worry, but because God is bigger than even your biggest concern.

The good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is this: we are far worse than we dare to consider, but we are far more loved than we ever thought possible! Jesus offers you forgiveness, covers you in grace, and gives you a fresh start if you will only step out of fear and step into faith.

Fix your eyes on Him.

Adapted from a sermon by George Wright, Senior Pastor, Shades Mountain Baptist Church

DIG DEEPER
Read “When Fears Rush In, God is Still Good” by Bryant Wright