• If your have CLUB EVENTS/RIDE & would like to announce it here,
    Message traxxas-modifier about it :-)

Valve Clearance

JapSpeed

Super Veteran
Today i adjusted the valve clearance of my Sniper MX for the first time, first i tried .10mm in and .13 ex. and the result: IMO not satisfied, way to long to reach the rpm limiter on every gear(using stock cdi), i checked the valve clearance to make it sure that the measurement is right, but then everything is okay... i think .10 and .13mm won't work fine with my bike. then i changed the valve clearance to .10mm in and .15mm ex. and the result is great... good acceleration... any suggestions or advice are welcome... thanks

JapSpeed

Super Veteran
You do it right .10 .15 was the stock valve clearance for our bike.
thanks Press... hehe... just got home from every night Fun Run with wifey... super satisfied on my speed... i think last2x week dinala ko mx ko sa Yamaha... i told the mech that i want .10 and .13 valve clearance, sabi nila maingay dw yn... but i insist at first. then he told me"baka rw magsisi ako" then no choice, cge! but i forgot to ask him the valve clearance he made to my bike... for sure less than .10 and 13. result: "malakas lang ang tunog ng pile" that's it! kaya ngayon DIY nlang ako...:dance::dance::dance:

John Jordan

Veteran
thanks Press... hehe... just got home from every night Fun Run with wifey... super satisfied on my speed... i think last2x week dinala ko mx ko sa Yamaha... i told the mech that i want .10 and .13 valve clearance, sabi nila maingay dw yn... but i insist at first. then he told me"baka rw magsisi ako" then no choice, cge! but i forgot to ask him the valve clearance he made to my bike... for sure less than .10 and 13. result: "malakas lang ang tunog ng pile" that's it! kaya ngayon DIY nlang ako...:dance::dance::dance:
Sir, is your MC loaded or stock? Nice to know that you're a DIY rider! :D

John Jordan

Veteran
all stock "7 months SMX" with namban pipe...
I'll probably try to set my clearance w/ the same measurement. I was also told the same thing by a 3s Shop Mech when I had my valves adjusted but he said that 0.12mm was my mx's stock as far as I can remember. Well anyway, I'll try the same setting. Tnx si @JapSpeed! ;)

JapSpeed

Super Veteran
is it difficult to adjust valve clearance? what's the benefit of adjusting it from stock settings?
adjusting the valve clearance is not easy if you don't have the experience or knowledge, it might damage your piston and valve if you don't set the right timing. i've been doing DIY on my previous bikes. i tried adjusting my old bike w/out knowledge then "kaboom" valve hit the piston, rocker arm got damage. it's so frustrating that time...

by the way i am not trying to change the stock valve clearance. the yamaha mech changed it to less than the stock settings. i don't like the result that's why i did DIY on my bike.. ride safe bro

mhektheone

Super Veteran
Yamaha recommended valve clearance.... .8 . 10 . 12 for intake.. .12 . 14 . 16 for exhaust... For me 8 and 12 is good for stock engine...

JapSpeed

Super Veteran
i just got my BRT Hyperband a few days ago, last Friday i traveled around 200kms south of Negros Occ., BRT performance is indeed really a hyper cdi, very good on acceleration, but my problem is on the top end.. i can just top 120 to 122:(:mad: then my stock valve spring KRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! using 14-42. i know that's the 10,000rpm limit of the stock valve springs.. looking forward on JVT valve spring and hoping my bike can reach 130... Sorry OT pala ako!

I will try 8 and 12 valve clearance today... i hope it will make little changes!

JapSpeed

Super Veteran
last OT... i just want to share that it's confirmed that our pipe is really a sensitive part of our bike, before i used r9 pipe for stock bore, small elbow the performance is great, i can top 120kph easily using stock cdi but the valve spring KKKKKKKKRR... now i changed my pipe to raider pipe namban pipe v4"Planning on big bore" the sound is so great, acceleration is great. but top end is around 117-118 using stock cdi... i will try to rejet my stock carb and i hope the top end will improve..

Last edited:

Gerry Jaloro

Super Veteran
i just got my BRT Hyperband a few days ago, last Friday i traveled around 200kms south of Negros Occ., BRT performance is indeed really a hyper cdi, very good on acceleration, but my problem is on the top end.. i can just top 120 to 122:(:mad: then my stock valve spring KRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! using 14-42. i know that's the 10,000rpm limit of the stock valve springs.. looking forward on JVT valve spring and hoping my bike can reach 130... Sorry OT pala ako!

I will try 8 and 12 valve clearance today... i hope it will make little changes!
valve spring 1st paps...

mhektheone

Super Veteran
.8 and .12 is nice plus a/f settings try 2.7 or 2.8

I will try 8 and 12 valve clearance today... i hope it will make little changes![/QUOTE .8 and .12 is nice plus a/f settings try 2.7 or 2.8

Last edited:

ESOJ de GUZMAN JR

Super Veteran
Hard to predict your rpm specially when using rcdi. Better install rpm gauge or replace your odo to uma digital speedometer. 14-42 sprocket combi mbilis maubusan ng gear kya 5th gear agad. At during high rpm. Hawakan nyo carrier nyo mavibrate sya. Not like 15-42.

JapSpeed

Super Veteran
Hard to predict your rpm specially when using rcdi. Better install rpm gauge or replace your odo to uma digital speedometer. 14-42 sprocket combi mbilis maubusan ng gear kya 5th gear agad. At during high rpm. Hawakan nyo carrier nyo mavibrate sya. Not like 15-42.
hindi nman ma vibrate masyado, soon i will buy that uma thing... hehe... for me 15/42 is for single rider... ako, lagi angkas c wifey and hindi rin masyado mahaba ang daan dito sa city... kaya mas maganda ang 14/42... if i'll install racing cam maybe i will use 15/42, we'll see...

JapSpeed

Super Veteran
just an update! current valve clearance .08 and .13mm, my top speed reach upto 124kph then stock valve springs "KRRRRR", i will install jvt VS next week... hoping my bike can reach 130kph...:)

mhektheone

Super Veteran
Maybe you exhaust valve.. Now my set is 7 in and 10 out for open pipe.. Sound so crispy 4th gear can reach 119kph all stock aside from exhaust pipe../ for stock pipe my set is 8 in and 12 out..