Broken to Be Shared
Bible in a Year:

You give them something to eat.

Luke 9:13
COMMENT
JOURNAL

Today's Scripture & Insight:
Luke 9:11–17
We met every Thursday after he lost his wife in a car accident. Sometimes he came with questions to which no answers exist; sometimes he came with memories he wanted to relive. Over time, he accepted that even though the accident was a result of the brokenness in our world, God could work in the midst of it. A few years later, he taught a class at our church about grief and how to lament well. Soon, he became our go-to guide for people experiencing loss. Sometimes it’s when we don’t feel like we have anything to offer that God takes our “not enough” and makes it “more than enough.”
Jesus told His disciples to give the people something to eat. They’d protested that there was nothing to give; Jesus multiplied their meager supplies and then turned back to the disciples and gave them the bread, as if to say, “I meant it: You give them something to eat!” (Luke 9:13–16). Christ will do the miraculous, but He often chooses to involve us.
Jesus says to us, “Place who you are and what you have in My hands. Your broken life. Your story. Your frailty and your failure, your pain and your suffering. Put it in My hands. You’ll be surprised what I can do with it.” Jesus knows that out of our emptiness, He can bring fullness. Out of our weakness, He can reveal His strength.
By: Glenn Packiam

Reflect & Pray
What brokenness have you experienced? What would it look like to offer that experience to Jesus and ask Him to bring life to others from it?
Dear Jesus, take my “not enough” and make it “more than enough.” Take my pain, my failure, and my frailty, and make it something more.

boldstardex

Staff member
“But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.” – Luke 5:16
IS REGULAR TIME WITH GOD NECESSARY?
March 10, 2020
Practicing Jews pray three times a day and Muslims five. Not so with Christianity. Rather than simply adhering to a list of rules, requirements or pillars, Christianity’s primary focus is on a relationship with God. And just like any relationship, this requires time. Jesus modeled spending time with God by regularly setting aside time to pray.
Now, Jesus is God, so why would God (Jesus) pray to God (the Father)? I can’t fully explain the mystery of the three in one relationship between God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit – but I can tell you that Jesus’ ultimate goal throughout His ministry on earth was walking 100% in His Father’s will. This meant staying close to His Father and prioritizing His time with God (the Father) over everything else. Before work, ministry, friends and even family – His Father always came first.
The same holds true for followers of Jesus. If Jesus prioritized time with His Father, then so should we. Our ultimate desire in life should be staying close to our Heavenly Father through prayer and reading His Word in order to fulfill His will. It’s about saying, “No matter what my schedule looks like or what pressures I’m facing, my number one purpose in life is my relationship with God. Everything else comes second.”
When we choose to put God first, we want to spend time with Him. We won’t worry about checking off a list of rules, but rather experiencing a relationship with the One True God by spending time alone with Him like Jesus did. That’s a relationship worth pursuing!

boldstardex

Staff member
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” – Hebrews 13:8
GOD HASN’T MOVED – HE’S ALWAYS THERE
March 11, 2020
My wife and I really enjoy visiting other parts of the world. Years ago, we had the privilege to visit the base of the Matterhorn in Switzerland – it has to be one of the most majestic sites on earth.
When we woke up the next morning, I walked out of our room to view the Matterhorn once again and it was gone! The clouds had rolled in and all of a sudden, there was absolutely no evidence it had ever been there. But as soon as the clouds lifted, it was obvious that the mountain had not moved.
Sometimes it’s like that with God. We come to experience Him in an awe-inspiring way, but later once the clouds of life roll in, it’s only disappointment, rejection, or suffering. It’s as if God is nowhere to be found.
But remember, God has never moved. He’s as sure and as near as the Matterhorn was to us that day in Switzerland when it was temporarily hidden behind the clouds. So, when the clouds of life move in, it’s time to hold onto the truth that God never moves.
If you’re in one of those seasons of doubt or struggle, take a moment to reflect on the times where God showed up in your life. Ask God for the faith to trust His promise that He’ll never leave you or forsake you (Deut. 31:6) – even when life’s circumstances are clouding your view.
For in time, the clouds of life will lift and you’ll find that God never moved; He’s been there there all along.

boldstardex

Staff member
“And immediately (Jesus) made His disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side of Bethsaida, while He Himself was sending the multitude away. And after bidding them farewell, He departed to the mountain to pray.” – Mark 6:45-46
WHY DID JESUS SPEND TIME WITH GOD?
March 16, 2020
Jesus was 100% God and 100% man. It’s a mind-boggling concept that we’ll probably never fully understand this side of Heaven, but it means that while being fully God, Jesus fully experienced everything we do. He experienced hunger and thirst, betrayal and pain, stress and exhaustion – every temptation we face. So how did He cope? He spent time with His Heavenly Father.
We’ve all known exhaustion and stress. For those regularly serving in ministry, the incredible emotional, spiritual and intellectual drain of trying to meet the endless needs and demands of people can be overwhelming. Often as the ministry grows, so does the need. Jesus’ experience was no different. As Jesus’ ministry took off, He faced incredible demands at every turn. It was extremely stressful and exhausting. Jesus needed time with His Heavenly Father more than ever before. Jesus needed the Father to recharge, refresh and revitalize Him for another day.
We may not be leading a demanding ministry like Jesus, but we all face similar seasons of intense stress, overwhelming need and physical exhaustion. We run out of gas – out of power. Couldn’t we all stand to be recharged, refreshed and revitalized by the Creator of the Universe?
If you’re feeling burnout spiritually, follow Jesus’ example and go to God. Carve out some time today and really invest in time with God. Ask Him to equip, refresh and strengthen you to face each day.

boldstardex

Staff member
logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
0:00
iTunesDownload MP3

March 21
Chirpy
Bible in a Year:

The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the brook.

1 Kings 17:6
COMMENT
JOURNAL

1 Kings 17:2–6
For twelve years, Chirpy, a seagull, has made daily visits to a man who’d helped him heal from a broken leg. John wooed Chirpy to himself with dog biscuits and was then able to nurse him back to health. Though Chirpy only resides in Instow Beach in Devon, England, between September and March, he and John Sumner find each other easily—Chirpy flies straight to him when he arrives at the beach each day, though he doesn’t approach any other human. It’s an uncommon relationship, to be sure.
John and Chirpy’s bond reminds me of another uncommon relationship between man and bird. When Elijah, one of God’s prophets, was sent into the wilderness to “hide in the Kerith Ravine” during a time of drought, God said he was to drink from the brook, and He’d send ravens to supply him with food (1 Kings 17:3–4). Despite the difficult circumstances and surroundings, Elijah would have his needs for food and water met. Ravens were unlikely caterers—naturally feeding on unseemly meals themselves—yet they brought Elijah wholesome food.
It may not surprise us that a man would help a bird, but when birds provide for a man with “bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening,” it can only be explained by God’s power and care (v. 6). Like Elijah, we too can trust in His provision for us.
By: Kirsten Holmberg

Reflect & Pray
How has God provided for your needs in surprising ways? How has this deepened your trust in Him?
Loving God, please help me to trust in You to meet my needs no matter what my circumstances might be.

boldstardex

Staff member
“(Barnabas) was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.” – Acts 11:24
WHAT ARE YOU KNOWN FOR?
March 26, 2020
Answer the following questions honestly: What are you known for? What do you want to be known for? Is there a disconnect between the two? Because it’s our everyday decisions that determine how these questions are answered.
In the early church, Barnabas was well-known as a respected leader and also known for his ability to encourage others. In Acts 11, he’s described as an overall good man. But, what does that mean, exactly?
A good person is one who’s trustworthy and strong; one who does the right thing and whose character is above reproach. They respond with compassion and kindness, even in the most trying of circumstances, and put the needs of others before their own. What better compliment could anyone receive than to be known as a good person? Our world could certainly use more good people these days, don’t you think?
So how did Barnabas come to be such a kind, generous, and good person? He was filled with the Holy Spirit. It wasn’t just his natural temperament and determination that made Barnabas such a good person, but the filling of the Holy Spirit that slowly transformed his life. Now, this is incredible news for anyone who, like me, has ever fallen short when it comes to how we live and love others. You see, when a person comes to faith in Christ, the Holy Spirit begins to transform their hearts and lives to become more like Jesus in spirit, in character, and in life’s mission. In other words, as we walk in faith with Jesus, He helps us to live and love others in ways that are often very counter-cultural. With the help of the Holy Spirit, our lives can point others to God.
So, what are you known for? When people think of your life, do they say, “he or she is a good person”? Through faith in Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit – God can make anyone truly good.
As the world continues to navigate life during this global pandemic, ask yourself what you want to be known for when this crisis is finally behind us? When the news or uncertainty sparks fear, turn to God. Let the Holy Spirit be your guide in every decision – no matter how big or small. In this way, may Jesus followers around the world be known as a beacon of hope during this uncertain time.

boldstardex

Staff member
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” – Galatians 5: 22
LOOKING LIKE JESUS – PART 1
April 1, 2020
What does it mean to be ‘Christ-like?’ We talk about it a lot in church, but what does it look like – practically? The apostle Paul described the ‘Christ-like’ life using nine characteristics referred to in Scripture as the fruit of the spirit. These ‘fruit’ contrast a self-willed and sinful life without God with a life that is based on living in the truth of Jesus Christ. It’s the difference between a ‘Me-focused’ life and a ‘Christ-focused’ life. So what fruit are we’re talking about?
  • Love: The biblical definition of love has nothing to do with a feeling. It is based on a decision of the will that we are going to love – whether we agree with or even like a person. We are going to love our neighbor no matter how we feel. We are called to love.
  • Joy: Joy is not temporary happiness because life is going my way at the moment. It’s a joy found even in struggles and grief. It doesn’t mean that we necessarily enjoy the struggle, but that we have the joy of knowing we’re fulfilling the will of God for our life.
  • Peace: Trusting Christ brings peace. We are finally reconciled with God – and that peace with God creates a growing inner peace which leads to a desire for peace with others.
  • Kindness: The Christ-follower is called to show kindness to those who oppress them, who marginalize them, who disagree with them. Could there be any character trait more appreciated in others than kindness?
  • Goodness & Patience: Patience is enduring those who mistreat us, and goodness comes from the appreciation of God’s grace in our lives. These two go hand-in-hand because through the truth of Jesus Christ we begin to experience genuine goodness that wants to be patient with those who mistreat and oppress us.
So which ‘fruit’ do you need more of? It’s not about trying. It’s about asking God to transform you more and more into the image of Christ and these ‘fruit’ will follow.

boldstardex

Staff member
“The Lord turned to (Gideon) and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” – Judges 6:14
GOD SEES WHAT OUR EYES CANNOT
April 5, 2020
Have you ever felt powerless? In today’s global battle against COVID-19, it’s certainly easy to feel powerless: economic fears, jobs furloughed, jobs lost, cities and nations on lockdown, loved-ones sick. What was normal a few weeks ago looks drastically different today.
If anyone could relate to feeling powerless and struggling to trust God in the interim, it was Gideon. In Judges 6, we meet Gideon during severe oppression at the hands of the Midianites. For seven years they had been reduced to hiding out in the mountains and caves, struggling to survive (Judges 6:4). Talk about feeling powerless.
One day, God sent an angel to Gideon: “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior!” Gideon, who at the time had been threshing wheat in a winepress to keep out of sight, probably didn’t feel like a mighty warrior. In fact, he would later remind God that he came from the weakest clan and was himself the least of his family (Judges 6:15). “Mighty warrior,” he was not.
Plus, after seven years of suffering, Gideon had a lot of questions. “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? …The Lord has abandoned us.” In other words, Gideon was asking what many of us might be asking God right now: What happened? Where are you?
Look how God responds in verse 14: ‘The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?… I will be with you” (Judges 6: 14, 16a). In other words, God tells Gideon to go – as he is – and trust HIM to fill in the gap. Reluctantly, Gideon obeys. Sure enough, God comes through in a miraculous way! Gideon became the mighty warrior that God saw in him and led a vastly outnumbered army to victory against the Midianites. (Read the full story in Judges 7)
We all go through seasons of feeling powerless and losing hope. Perhaps the current COVID-19 crisis is testing your faith today. If so, then be encouraged by Gideon’s story and remember:
  • God is more powerful than even the biggest obstacle.
  • God sees things (in us and in life’s circumstances) that we cannot.
  • God loves to use seemingly hopeless situations for HIS glory.
How will God use you during this season of uncertainty?

boldstardex

Staff member
“And those who went before and those who followed were shouting, ‘Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!'” – Mark 11:9
HE COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD
April 7, 2020
Just imagine what it must have been like to be there as Jesus entered Jerusalem on that day of Passover! The people waved palm branches and cried, “Blessed is the King Who comes in the name of the Lord!” Crowds gathered and extolled Him. They rejoiced in His powers of healing, in the miracles He had performed. His popularity reigned supreme.
But the Pharisees didn’t like it. “Teacher, reprove Your disciples,” they shouted. Notice that they didn’t call Jesus King, but simply a teacher. To them, Jesus was just any other teacher. Yet, Jesus had become a problem. Every day, His growing popularity became a greater threat to their authority.
Is the situation much different today? As we celebrate the majesty of our King Jesus, there are still those who would like to silence our voices of praise and exultation. There are still those who scoff and label Jesus as just another religious leader. In Jesus’ day, many rejoiced in all the miracles He performed, only to later abandon Him as He was crucified.
So, where do WE stand?
Those of us who know Jesus as Savior and Lord should not be silenced by those who would reprove us. We should all stand in allegiance to Him as we celebrate the empty tomb after the cross. We cannot run away or cower in the face of difficulty and impending doom. No, because we want the world to know – as we know – that Jesus Christ is King!
No matter how dark the world appears or hopeless life might seem, Jesus offers a peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7). Jesus offers freedom no other can sustain. Jesus offers a Kingdom no other can create. As we celebrate Easter week, let us cling to the hope of Jesus. Like that day long ago as Jesus entered Jerusalem on Passover, may we, too, praise the name of Jesus Christ: “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord!”

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

April 9
Stay on the Way
Bible in a Year:

Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?

John 14:5
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Today's Scripture:
John 14:1–7
Dusk fell as I followed Li Bao along the tops of terraced walls cut into the mountains of central China. I had never been this way before, and I couldn’t see more than one step ahead or how steep the ground dropped off to our left. I gulped and stuck close to Li. I didn’t know where we were going or how long it would take, but I trusted my friend.
I was in the same position as Thomas, the disciple who always seemed to need reassurance. Jesus told His disciples that He must leave to prepare a place for them and that they knew “the way to the place where [He was] going” (John 14:4). Thomas asked a logical follow-up question: “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” (v. 5).
Jesus didn’t quench Thomas’s doubt by explaining where He was taking them. He simply assured His disciple that He was the way there. And that was enough.
We too have questions about our future. None of us know the details of what lies ahead. Life is full of twists we don’t see coming. That’s okay. It’s enough to know Jesus, who is “the way and the truth and the life” (v. 6).
Jesus knows what’s next. He only asks that we walk close to Him.
By: Mike Wittmer

Reflect & Pray
What’s your biggest fear about your future? Why is it enough to follow Jesus into that future?
Father, help us see that the journey is the destination, and the way is Your Son.

https://bit.ly/3bQSdOw

boldstardex

Staff member
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”– John 16: 33
LIFE’S CIRCUMSTANCES DO NOT DETERMINE GOD’S GOODNESS
April 9, 2020
Why is it that as circumstances worsen, our faith often falters? Rather than believing that God remains in control – no matter how good or bad things appear – we let life’s challenges slowly overshadow our faith in God. Eventually, fear can replace our faith entirely. You might be experiencing this right now as you take stock of just how much has changed in the past few weeks of COVID-19: our daily routines, our jobs, our finances. When life changes overnight, our faith can be shaken … but it doesn’t have to crumble.
Peter understood this. In fact, Peter lived this.
For three years, Peter followed Jesus as one of His inner circle – one of the 12 disciples. When it came to Jesus’ earthly ministry, Peter saw it all: miraculous healings, powerful teaching, and provocative statements. Like most of Jesus’ followers, Peter assumed that Jesus was going to redeem the children of Israel as the long-awaited King of the Jews. So, you can imagine his shock when Jesus was arrested and sentenced to death on the cross. This wasn’t how the story was supposed to go – at least not according to Peter. Talk about a huge gap between expectations and current circumstances.
After Jesus’ arrest, the disciples were so overcome by fear that they fled (Mark 14:50). How could things have gotten so far off course? Things were so bad that even Peter, called the “rock” by Jesus (Mark 3:16), crumbled – as three times he denied any association with Him (Matthew 26: 69-75).
When life’s circumstances didn’t live up to expectations, Jesus’ closest followers lost hope and gave into fear. Yet, the story wasn’t over. Not only did Jesus overcome death on the cross through His resurrection, but He cared enough to specifically redeem His relationship with Peter (John 21:15-17).
The lesson for us in Peter’s story is that life’s circumstances do not determine God’s goodness. Even when hope seems lost and fears rush in, our faith need not falter. Why? Because even when the story appeared over, God had other plans.
Have current events shaken your faith? As we near Easter Sunday, may the story of God’s ultimate victory, fill you anew with hope that no matter life’s circumstances, God is still good. He is trustworthy because Jesus is risen and that makes all the difference!

boldstardex

Staff member
“He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said.” – Matthew 28:6
HE IS NOT HERE
April 12, 2020
On the first Easter morning, a group of women went to the tomb to anoint the body of Jesus. There was no doubt in their minds that Jesus was dead. They saw Him die on Friday and they even saw Him buried. Yet, when they arrived on Easter Sunday, the tomb was empty. Immediately, they were alarmed.
Can you imagine how you would feel if you took flowers to the grave of a loved one, two days after the funeral, only to find the grave had been dug up, the casket open, and the body gone? Terrifying! But an angel said to them, “He is not here. He is risen.” The angel reminded them that Christ had said He would be killed and rise again. The women believed. How about you?
If Christ did not rise from the dead, He was a fraud and certainly not a great prophet or teacher. Or, He did what He said He’d do–conquer death–to save you and me for all eternity.
What do you believe? All of Christianity rises and falls on the resurrection. I believe He rose victoriously from the grave, and hope that together, we will all celebrate the glorious resurrection of Jesus Christ as we shelter in place this year. Easter can never be cancelled!

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

April 14
Healing Words
Bible in a Year:

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Proverbs 16:24
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Proverbs 16:20–24
A recent study has shown that encouraging words from a health-care provider can help patients recuperate faster from their ailments. A simple experiment exposed volunteer study participants to a skin allergen to make them itch and then compared the reactions between those who received assurance from their physician and those who didn’t. Patients who received encouragement from their doctors had less discomfort and itching than their counterparts.
The writer of Proverbs knew how important encouraging words are. “Gracious words” bring “healing to the bones,” he wrote (Proverbs 16:24). The positive effect of words isn’t limited to our health: when we heed the wisdom of instruction, we’re also more likely to prosper in our efforts (v. 20). So too encouragement buoys us for the challenges we face now and may encounter in the future.
We may not yet fully understand why or even how much wisdom and encouragement bring strength and healing to our daily lives. Yet the cheers and guidance of our parents, coaches, and colleagues seem to help us endure difficulty and steer us toward success. Similarly, the Bible brings us encouragement when we face trials, equipping us to bear up under even the most unthinkable circumstances. Help us, God, to be strengthened by Your wisdom and to, in turn, offer the healing and hope of “gracious words” to those You’ve placed in our lives.
By: Kirsten Holmberg

Reflect & Pray
Who has spoken “gracious words” into your life? Why is it vital for you to share words of encouragement with others?
Dear Father, thank You for Your words of healing and hope.

boldstardex

Staff member
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7
HOW TO NAVIGATE UNCERTAINTY WITH HOPE
April 14, 2020
By now the terms “shelter in place” and “social distancing” have become part of our everyday vocabulary, as cities around the globe experience various levels of shutdown. With life as we know it on pause, it’s easier than ever to spend endless hours consumed with the latest news and social media updates. While technology has certainly brought with it many benefits, including staying informed and connected to loved ones, it can also exacerbate feelings of fear, anxiety, and loneliness during this health crisis.
So, how can Jesus-followers navigate this current season with hope and faith?
  1. Prioritize Time with God. – Our lives have been turned upside down and prioritizing time with God through prayer and reading of His Word is more important now than ever. No matter what your “new normal” looks like, be sure to find time for God. Need a few ideas? How about pray, listen to worship music, read the Gospels, journal, listen to a Christian podcast or online sermon. Did you know that Right From The Heart hosts an archive of sermons? Click here to listen online for more insight into the battle of fear with faith.
  2. Find Moments of Gratitude. – It’s always easier to list the challenges, so take time each day to be grateful. If you’re struggling to find the positives right now, turn on some worship music and remind yourself of who God is: “As for God, His way is perfect: The Lord’s Word is flawless; He shields all who take refuge in Him” (Psalm 18:30). Amen!
  3. Online Church – Churches everywhere have shifted their weekly worship services online. Just because you can’t physically gather for Sunday service doesn’t mean you should forget about it. Gather your spouse, your kids, or your roommate and worship online with your local church community.
  4. Stay Connected – Schedule regular check-ins with friends and family. Plan virtual coffee chats with your spiritual mentor, accountability partner, or small group Bible study. As Hebrews 10:25 says, “…do not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another.” Thanks to technology, this is possible even while “social distancing.”
The next time your mind begins spinning with thoughts of fear and anxiety, turn to God in prayer. As the Psalmist says in Psalm 56:3, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in You.” Choose to trust God and ask for His peace to fill your heart and mind (Philippians 4:7). In this way, may your relationship with God grow stronger as you choose to walk in faith amidst uncertainty.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

April 16
Hungry for God
Bible in a Year:

When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight.

Jeremiah 15:16
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Jeremiah 15:15–21
A new believer in Jesus was desperate to read the Bible. However, he’d lost his eyesight and both hands in an explosion. When he heard about a woman who read Braille with her lips, he tried to do the same—only to discover that the nerve endings of his lips had also been destroyed. Later, he was filled with joy when he discovered that he could feel the Braille characters with his tongue! He had found a way to read and enjoy the Scriptures.
Joy and delight were the emotions the prophet Jeremiah experienced when he received God’s words. “When your words came, I ate them,” he said, “they were my joy and my heart’s delight” (Jeremiah 15:16). Unlike the people of Judah who despised His words (8:9), Jeremiah had been obedient and rejoiced in them. His obedience, however, also led to the prophet being rejected by his own people and persecuted unfairly (15:17).
Some of us may have experienced something similar. We once read the Bible with joy, but obedience to God led to suffering and rejection from others. Like Jeremiah, we can bring our confusion to God. He answered Jeremiah by repeating the promise He gave him when He first called him to be a prophet (vv. 19-21; see 1:18–19). God reminded him that He never lets His people down. We can have this same confidence too. He’s faithful and will never abandon us.
By: Poh Fang Chia

Reflect & Pray
When have you experienced joy in reading the Scriptures? What can help you regain your hunger and thirst for God?
Faithful God, thank You for speaking to me through the words of the Bible. Help me to seek You earnestly and to obey You faithfully.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

April 17
Able to Help
Bible in a Year:

Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Hebrews 2:18
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Hebrews 2:14–18
Joe’s eight-week “break” from his job as a crisis care worker at a New York City church was not a vacation. In his words, it was “to live again among the homeless, to become one of them, to remember what hungry, tired, and forgotten feel like.” Joe’s first stint on the streets had come nine years earlier when he arrived from Pittsburgh without a job or a place to stay. For thirteen days he lived on the streets with little food or sleep. That’s how God had prepared him for decades of ministry to needy people.
When Jesus came to earth, He also chose to share the experiences of those He came to save. “Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil” (Hebrews 2:14). From birth to death, nothing was missing from Christ’s human experience—except sin (4:15). Because He conquered sin, He can help us when we’re tempted to sin.
And Jesus doesn’t need to reacquaint Himself with our earthly cares. The One who saves us remains connected to us and is deeply interested in us. Whatever life brings, we can be assured that the One who rescued us from our greatest foe, the devil (2:14), stands ready to help us in our times of greatest need.
By: Arthur Jackson

Reflect & Pray
How does it encourage you to know that Jesus became one of us to identify with us and help us? What difference does knowing that He “walked in our shoes” make during this season in your life?
Father, help me to remember that You’re ready to help me in all areas of my life.

boldstardex

Staff member
Being Cared For
Bible in a Year:

The Lord Almighty is with us.

Psalm 46:11
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Psalm 46
Debbie, the owner of a housecleaning service, was always searching for more clients to build up her business. On one call she talked with a woman whose response was, “I won’t be able to afford that now; I’m undergoing cancer treatment.” Right then Debbie decided that “no woman undergoing cancer treatment would ever be turned away. They would even be offered a free housecleaning service.” So in 2005 she started a nonprofit organization where companies donated their cleaning services to women battling cancer. One such woman felt a rush of confidence when she came home to a clean house. She said, “For the first time, I actually believed I could beat cancer.”
A feeling of being cared for and supported can help sustain us when we’re facing a challenge. An awareness of God’s presence and support can especially bring hope to encourage our spirit. Psalm 46, a favorite of many people going through trials, reminds us: “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” and “Be still, and know that I am God; . . . I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord Almighty is with us” (vv. 1, 10–11).
Reminding ourselves of God’s promises and His presence with us can be a means to help renew our hearts and give us the courage and confidence to go through hard times.
By: Anne Cetas

Reflect & Pray
For what trials are you depending on God for strength? What Bible verses help you?
I’m grateful, God, for Your presence and Your promises. May I live out an attitude of confidence in You and Your ability to sustain me.
To learn more about why life can sometimes feel unfair, visit bit.ly/2YeZilB.

boldstardex

Staff member
“Daniel soon proved himself more capable than all the other administrators and princes. Because of his great ability, the king made plans to place him over the entire empire. Then the other administrators and princes began searching for some fault in the way Daniel was handling his affairs, but they couldn’t find anything to criticize. He was faithful and honest and always responsible.” – Daniel 6:3-4
CULTIVATING THE CHARACTER OF CHRIST
April 21, 2020
The quality of our character grows in proportion to the time we spend in God’s presence and in His Word. While Daniel couldn’t wait for his moments alone with God, others spent their time trying to find fault with him. But they couldn’t. Daniel was a man who spent quality time with God. His outward life was a direct reflection of the time he diligently spent in the presence of God. So it is with us.
It is impossible to spend quality time with God and not be changed. Jesus exemplified this for us. He was a man of prayer who continually spent hours alone with God. Whether trudging into the wilderness at dawn or speedily boarding a boat, Jesus knew that, apart from His Father, He could do nothing.
In the same way, if we desire to live the life Christ has for us then we must do the same. As we continue to spend time in His Word, we cultivate the very character of Christ. Jesus said it like this, “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you…you shall bear much fruit.” (My paraphrase of John 15: 1 -8.)
My desire is to grow progressively in the likeness of Jesus. His presence and His Word are the only two ingredients that cause us to live as He did. The more influence we allow, the greater our character. Let His presence and His Word be our greatest priority in this life.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

April 24
Divinely Aligned
Bible in a Year:

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!

Romans 11:33
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Romans 11:33–36
I was deeply troubled and woke in the night to pace the floor and pray. Frankly, my attitude was not one of prayerful submission to God, but one of questioning and anger. Finding no release, I sat and stared out a large window at the night sky. I was unexpectedly drawn to focus on Orion’s Belt—those three perfectly arranged stars often visible on clear nights. I knew just enough about astronomy to understand that those three stars were hundreds of light years apart.
I realized the closer I could be to those stars, the less they would appear to be aligned. Yet from my distant perspective, they looked carefully configured in the heavens. At that moment, I realized I was too close to my life to see what God sees. In His big picture, everything is in perfect alignment.
The apostle Paul, as he completes a summary of the ultimate purposes of God, breaks into a hymn of praise (Romans 11:33–36). His words lift our gaze to our sovereign God, whose ways are beyond our limited ability to understand or trace (v. 33). Yet the One who holds all things together in the heavens and on earth is intimately and lovingly involved with every detail of our lives (Matthew 6:25–34; Colossians 1:16).
Even when things seem confusing, God’s divine plans are unfolding for our good and for God’s honor and glory.
By: Evan Morgan

Reflect & Pray
What questions do you long for God to answer? How can you find rest and release through faith that His perspective of our lives is in perfect alignment with His ultimate purposes?
Dear God, remind me that Your purposes and plans for my life are beyond my understanding, and help me rest in You.

boldstardex

Staff member
“Then he went on along into the wilderness, traveling all day. He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life, for I am no better than my ancestors who have already died.” Then he lay down and slept under the broom tree. But as he was sleeping, an angel touched him and told him, “Get up and eat!” He looked around and there beside his head was some bread baked on hot stones and a jar of water! So he ate and drank and lay down again. Then the angel of the Lord came again and touched him and said “Get up and eat some more, or the journey ahead will be too much for you.” So he got up and ate and drank, and the food gave him enough strength to travel forty days and forty nights to Mount Sinai, the mountain of God. There he came to a cave, where he spent the night.” – 1 Kings 19:4-8
YOU CAN OVERCOME DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY
April 27, 2020
Depression is a huge problem these days. If you are struggling with thoughts of suicide, don’t battle it alone. Reach out to a trusted friend or family member. Talk to a professional counselor or call a suicide prevention line, available around the world. It’s never too late to ask for help.
Most of us will battle some level of depression, anxiety, or feelings of hopelessness at one time or another. So, it should be reassuring to see that Elijah, one of the greatest prophets in the whole Bible, fought his own battle with fear and depression.
The full story is fascinating and worth reading in 1 Kings chapter 17 to 19. The short version is that Elijah humiliated the beloved false prophets of Israel’s wicked Queen Jezebel. In her fury, she called down a curse from her god upon herself if Elijah was not killed within 24 hours. Elijah knew she meant business and was overcome with fear. Here was a man, who had always shown amazing courage in his life, now running for his life. He became so depressed that he cried out for God to just get it over with and strike him dead. Think about that…Elijah was so consumed by fear and depression that he was ready to give up and die.
Eventually, Elijah fell into a deep sleep. Look how God responded. Twice, the angel of the Lord awakened him and gave him food and water for nourishment. God knew that depression often causes physical, emotional and spiritual exhaustion, so He allowed Elijah to simply eat and sleep.
So, what can we take away from this part of Elijah’s story?
  • Spiritual LOWS often Follow Spiritual HIGHS – Sometimes the emotional or spiritual blues that set in after a spiritual mountaintop or an experience of great joy and victory in life are just the normal result of life’s ups and downs. The exhaustion of life’s emotional rollercoaster can cause us to be more susceptible to anxiety. We shouldn’t be surprised by that – sadly, that’s just life. What goes up will come back down.
  • Nothing is Impossible with God – After witnessing such a miraculous victory at the hands of God, Elijah was consumed by fear as soon as he took his focus off God and placed it on Jezebel. When we refocus on the power of God, we can see those same problems and fears in a new perspective. Often those seemingly insurmountable problems and fears begin to look a whole lot smaller when viewed in comparison to God’s might and power.
  • When we lose HOPE, we begin to HOPE for death – Hopelessness can easily engulf us. I know – twice when I was younger, I faced a time of prolonged depression that lasted over a year.
If you’re struggling with depression, anxiety, or hopelessness, let me offer you some advice on how to respond:
  1. Talk about it to God. I promise that God can handle it. He knows what you’re thinking anyway and wants to hear from you!
  1. Ask God’s forgiveness when you’ve gotten your focus out of whack and you’ve taken your eyes off of Him.
  1. Ask for the ability to let go of all the anger and self-pity. You can’t get rid of it in your own strength.
  1. Take it day by day. God doesn’t promise to give us strength for tomorrow, today. He gives us strength for today, today.
  1. Rest and eat right. It was important to God that Elijah rested and had proper nourishment. In the same way, this is important for us too.
  1. Don’t quit. No matter how afraid you are, no matter how anxious you are about tomorrow, no matter how depressed and hopeless you feel, don’t quit! I promise that God will never, ever give up on you. The lie of depression is that it will never end. DON’T BELIEVE IT. Depression may last a long time, but it is almost always temporal.
Most importantly, keep your eyes and your thoughts turned upward to God. Remember, just as with Elijah, God will never, ever leave you.
“Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.”– Psalm 139:7,11-12 NIV