Message traxxas-modifier about it :-)

Daily Devotion

boldstardex

Staff member
Out of the Deep
July 26, 2017

Read: 2 Samuel 22:17–20 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 40–42; Acts 27:1–26

He reached down from on high and took hold of me. 2 Samuel 22:17

I scanned the water intently, on alert for signs of trouble. During my six-hour shifts as a lifeguard, I watched from the side of the pool to ensure the safety of those swimming. Leaving my post, or even becoming lax in my attentiveness, could have grave consequences for those in the pool. If a swimmer was in danger of drowning due to injury or lack of skill, it was my responsibility to pluck them from the water and return them to safety on the pool deck.

After experiencing God’s aid in battle against the Philistines (2 Sam. 21:15–22), David likens his rescue to being drawn out of “deep waters” (22:17). David’s very life—and that of his men—was in serious danger from his enemies. God buoyed David as he was drowning in disaster. While lifeguards are paid to assure the safety of swimmers, God, on the other hand, saved David because of His delight in him (v. 20). My heart leaps for joy when I realize that God doesn’t watch over and protect me because He’s obliged to but because He wants to.

Thank You, Lord, for seeing my struggles and standing ready to save me.
When we feel overcome by the troubles of life, we can rest in the knowledge that God, our Lifeguard, sees our struggle and, because of His delight in us, watches over and protects us.

Thank You, Lord, for seeing my struggles and standing ready to save me. Help me to trust Your rescuing love more fully.

God delights in saving His children.

By Kirsten Holmberg | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
As David’s years added up, his strength began to fail. Yet this was his chance to recall once again the many times the Lord had heard his cry for help and rescued him from trouble.

In the course of a wonderful—yet difficult—life, David knew the emotions of fear and adrenaline rush. As a young man, wild animals stalked his father’s sheep. Later there was the threat of Goliath, the murderous pursuit by Saul, and military battles on many fronts. In one of his last wars with the Philistines, David became exhausted. A Philistine thought this was his opportunity to kill the king of Israel. But one of David’s soldiers rushed to his side and killed the Philistine. It was a close call. After that, David’s men said, “Never again will you go out with us to battle, so that the lamp of Israel will not be extinguished” (2 Sam. 21:17). God had been so faithful to David that his soldiers made the mistake of thinking that without him they themselves would be defeated by their enemies.

boldstardex

Staff member
Forgiven!
July 28, 2017

Read: 1 John 1:1-10 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 46–48; Acts 28

I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant. Psalm 119:176

My friend Norm Cook sometimes had a surprise for his family when he arrived home from work. He would walk through the front door, and shout, “You’re forgiven!” It wasn’t that family members had wronged him and needed hisforgiveness. He was reminding them that though they doubtless had sinned throughout the day, they were by God’s grace fully forgiven.

The apostle John supplies this note about grace: “If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin [no inclination to sin], we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:7–9).

Monitor your heart daily to avoid wandering from God’s wisdom.
To “walk in the light” is a metaphor for following Jesus. Imitating Jesus with the Spirit’s help, John insists, is the sign that we have joined with the apostles in the fellowship of faith. We are authentic Christians. But, he continues, let’s not be deceived: We will make wrong choices at times. Nevertheless, grace is given in full measure: We can take what forgiveness we need.

Not perfect; just forgiven by Jesus! That’s the good word for today.

Lord, I know I’m not even close to being perfect. That’s why I need You and Your cleansing in my life. I’m lost without You.

Monitor your heart daily to avoid wandering from God’s wisdom.

By David H. Roper | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
In this passage we see how confession can restore our connection with God. We are assured that even when we make wrong choices, God will offer grace and forgiveness to the truly repentant.

boldstardex

Staff member
A “New Man”
July 31, 2017

Read: Colossians 1:3–14 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 54–56; Romans 3

Continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. Colossians 1:23

As a group of teenagers visited a home for the elderly in Montego Bay, Jamaica, one young woman noticed a lonely looking man at the end of the room. He appeared to have little left in this world but a bed to sleep on—a bed from which he could not move because of his disability.

The teen began right away to share the story of God’s love for us and read some Bible passages to him. “As I shared with him,” she would say later, “I started to feel his eagerness to hear more.” Responding to his interest, she explained the wonder of Jesus’s sacrificial death for us. “It was hard for this man, who had no hope and no family,” she recalled, “to understand that Someone he’s never met would love him enough to die on the cross for his sins.”

Lord, thank You for the new life we have in Jesus Christ.
She told him more about Jesus—and then about the promise of heaven (including a new body) for all who believe. He asked her, “Will you dance with me up there?” She saw him begin to imagine himself free of his worn-out body and crippling limitations.

When he said he wanted to trust Jesus as his Savior, she helped him pray a prayer of forgiveness and faith. When she asked him if she could get a picture with him, he replied, “If you help me sit up. I’m a new man.”

Praise God for the life-changing, hope-giving, available-to-all gospel of Jesus Christ! It offers new life for all who trust Him (Col. 1:5, 23).

Lord, thank You for the new life we have in Jesus Christ. Help us to share the hope of that new life with others so they can be made new as well.

Jesus offers new life.

By Dave Branon | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
Colossae, the destination of the letter to the Colossian church, was a city in Asia Minor (modern-day Turkey). It was a city of some significance commercially in the first century because of its location on a main trade route east from Ephesus. We are not told in the New Testament how this church was founded, but in this letter Paul writes to encourage and instruct the believers there as if it were one of the churches he himself had founded. Bill Crowder

boldstardex

Staff member
"The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone." - Psalm 118:22

RELIGION VERSUS CHRISTIANITY
July 31, 2017

The number-one enemy of Christianity today is religion, not unrepentant sinners. It was so from the very beginning. Jesus did not offend sinners…He offended the religious men of His day. He was the cornerstone rejected not by the passers-by, but by the builders themselves.

In the person of Jesus, religion and Christianity are tackled head-on. How can you distinguish religion from authentic Christianity? Here are a few clues.

• First, religion loves ritual. Religion delights in the status quo. Change makes it uncomfortable. Religion is a commitment to a system of beliefs, attitudes and practices. Second, religion responds to challenge with intimidation. Challenge religion, and it will attempt to intimidate you into submission. What does an attorney do when he suspects that truth may not be on his side? He buys time, attacks procedure and assassinates character. Religion is defended the same way.
  • What about Christianity? Well, Christianity loves the truth. Aristotle defined the truth, as “saying of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not.” In other words, truth has a standard, and is not relative. Also, Christianity responds to challenge with boldness. Why? Because knowing the truth and embracing it gives us courage.
  • When religion and Christianity clash, what happens? Many times, people come to know Christ. When Peter and John were arrested for the first time (Acts 3-4), five thousand people were saved!
Don’t be afraid when your faith is challenged by religion. When this happens, the stage is set for blessing, not for defeat.

boldstardex

Staff member
The Professor’s Confession
August 2, 2017

Read: 1 John 3:11–18 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 60–62; Romans 5

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. [URL='http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+3%3A16']1 John 3:16[/URL]

Horrified by his students’ poor writing habits, renowned author and college professor David Foster Wallace considered how he might improve their skills. That’s when a startling question confronted him. The professor had to ask himself why a student would listen to someone “as smug, narrow, self-righteous, [and] condescending” as he was. He knew he had a problem with pride.

That professor could and did change, but he could never become one of his students. Yet when Jesus came to Earth, He showed us what humility looks like bybecoming one of us. Stepping across all kinds of boundaries, Jesus made Himself at home everywhere by serving, teaching, and doing the will of His Father.

Jesus loved us by serving.
Even as He was being crucified, Jesus prayed for forgiveness for His executioners (Luke 23:34). Straining for every anguished breath, He still granted eternal life to a criminal dying with Him (vv. 42–43).

Why would Jesus do that? Why would He serve people like us to the very end? The apostle John gets to the point. Out of love! He writes, “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.” Then he drives that point home. “And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters” (1 John 3:16).

Jesus showed us that His love eradicates our pride, our smugness, our condescension. And He did it in the most powerful way possible. He gave His life.

Father, we are so prone to look down on each other. Please forgive us. Give us the heart of love Your Son showed to us.

Jesus loved us by serving.

By Tim Gustafson | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
In today's reading, John uses the word love six times. He begins his teaching on love by stating the disastrous consequences of not loving each other. It is interesting that John correlates death with hate. His argument seems to go like this: If you don’t love, you hate (and here John means continuing to hate, not just an angry response); if you hate, you’re a murderer; no murderers have eternal life; therefore, if you love, you have life.

What does love look like? Verse 16 says, “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.” But it’s the practical examples that drive the point home: If we don’t take care of those in need, love is not in us.

People around us have many needs—whether physical, emotional, or spiritual. How can you show Christ’s love by serving someone today?

boldstardex

Staff member
Peace and Trust
August 3, 2017

Read: Isaiah 26:1– 9 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 63–65; Romans 6

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

When I was six years old I rode a roller coaster for the first time with my older brothers. As soon as we hit a turn at a high speed I started to yell: “Stop this thing right now! I want to get off!” Of course the roller coaster didn’t stop, and I had to “white knuckle” it, hanging on tight for the rest of the ride.

Sometimes life can feel like an unwanted roller coaster ride, with “downhill” drops and hairpin curves we never see coming. When unexpected difficulties occur, the Bible reminds us that our best recourse is to place our trust in God. It was in a tumultuous time when invasion threatened his country that the prophet Isaiah, inspired by the Spirit, discerned this powerful promise from the Lord: “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you” (Isa. 26:3).

Life will have its difficulties, but our Savior, who loves us more than life, is greater than them all.
The peace our Savior gives us as we turn to Him “transcends all understanding” (Phil. 4:7). I will never forget the words of a woman who was struggling with breast cancer. After a group from our church prayed for her one evening, she said, “I don’t know what will happen, but I know that I’ll be okay, because the Lord was here with us tonight.”

Life will have its difficulties, but our Savior, who loves us more than life, is greater than them all.

Lord, help me to trust in You so that I may live in peace.

For help, read Navigating the Storms of Life at discoveryseries.org/hp061.

Jesus is our peace.

By James Banks | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
The peace Paul referenced in Philippians 4:7 closely parallels the rest that Jesus offers us in Matthew 11:28–29. Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” This gift of “soul rest” is the peace that every heart craves—a peace that comes from wholeness and rightness (Isa. 26:3). This peace is much more than the absence of conflict; it is the blessing that comes from resting in Christ and His strength. As we learn to rest in Him, we will experience the resulting peace of His presence and power.

boldstardex

Staff member
For you, God, tested us; you refined us like silver. Psalm 66:10

My training for the long-distance race was going badly, and the latest run was particularly disappointing. I walked half the time and even had to sit down at one point. It felt like I had failed a mini-test.

Then I remembered that this was the whole point of training. It was not a test to pass, nor was there a grade I had to achieve. Rather, it was something I simply had to go through, again and again, to improve my endurance.

Lord, I know that You allow me to go through trials so that I will be strengthened and purified.
Perhaps you feel bad about a trial you are facing. God allows us to undergo these times of testing to toughen our spiritual muscles and endurance. He teaches us to rely on Him, and purifies us to be holy, so that we become more like Christ.

No wonder the psalmist could praise God for refining the Israelites through fire and water (Ps. 66:10–12) as they suffered in slavery and exile. God not only preserved them and brought them to a place of great abundance, but also purified them in the process.

As we go through testing, we can rely on God for strength and perseverance. He is refining us through our toughest moments.

Lord, I know that You allow me to go through trials so that I will be strengthened and purified. Teach me to keep relying on You for Your strength to endure.

Faith-testing times can be faith-strengthening times.

By Leslie Koh | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
Echoing the confident sentiment of Psalm 66:10, an Old Testament man named Job said, “When [God] has tested me, I will come forth as gold” (Job 23:10). Job was in financial ruin, his ten children had died, and he was afflicted with a painful disease (1:13–19; 2:7). In the midst of these trials, he sought to understand why he had to suffer so much. His three friends believed his suffering was God’s punishment for his sins (4:7–9; 8:4–7). But Job rejected their accusations and sought an answer from God (23:1–5). God seemed absent (vv. 8–9), yet in a moment of raw faith, Job expressed his intuitive conviction that God was testing him to prove the purity of his character. Job entrusted himself to God’s ways and drew strength from His Word (vv. 10–12).

In a similar way, God tests us to show the quality of our faith (Prov. 17:3; Isa. 48:10; James 1:12; 1 Peter 1:6–7; 4:1–13).

How has testing helped to refine your faith? What encouragement from Psalm 66 helps you remain faithful in the midst of testing? Sim Kay Tee

boldstardex

Staff member
“For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.” Matthew 6: 14-15

FORGIVENESS – IS IT SIMPLE?
August 6, 2017

Believe it or not, the concept of forgiveness is very simple. Forgiveness is letting go of your anger, bitterness, sense of justice and desire for revenge. It’s giving the issue to God and letting Him deal with it – just let it go.

In theory, forgiveness is so basic that even a child can understand it, but once emotions get involved, everything becomes more difficult. Then forgiveness requires trusting in God’s providence, in God’s justice, and that He’s actually paying attention to the situation. And this is where the battle begins. You see, our instinct is to trust ourselves rather than God. We fear that if we give control to God, He might not do what we are sure needs to be done. So, we hold tight to our anger and our lack of forgiveness. We want to be sure the bad guys get their due – that the jerks always pay.

Knowing that we would struggle with forgiveness, Jesus was pretty clear in the Lord’s Prayer found in Matthew chapter 6. It’s simple: If you want forgiveness from God, then forgive others. It’s the foundation of the Christian faith that everyone needs forgiveness. When we aren’t willing to forgive others and recognize how seriously every man, woman and child needs forgiveness – then we won’t experience it ourselves.

Everyone needs forgiveness because we were born with a sinful nature. All of us willingly follow that nature from one sin to another. We all mess up at one time or another, so we all need forgiveness. It’s with that in mind that we make the choice to forgive others – just like Christ forgave us.

boldstardex

Staff member
“Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven – as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

Luke 7:47

THE UNNATURAL POWER OF FORGIVNESS
August 7, 2017

No relationship can survive without forgiveness. Take a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. They probably got married because they were in love, but they stayed together because they continued to love and forgive one another. In every relationship, you will need forgiveness at one point or another.

As sinners, we all harm one another. Sometimes it’s intentional and other times it’s unintentional – but the result is relational damage. Then what? Well, often our pride makes granting forgiveness incredibly difficult. Our feeling is, “He should have known better.” If I forgive him, he’ll keep running over me. If we’re honest, we’ve all felt this way.

When it comes to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, many respond in a similar way: “No thanks; I’m pretty good the way I am – well, at least as good as those in church.” And you know what? That’s exactly right. Churches aren’t filled with all the “good” folks who are living better lives than the rest of us. Churches are filled with flawed, imperfect sinners just like everyone else. The difference, however, is that followers of Jesus see their flaws and recognize their need for something greater than themselves – God’s saving grace.

Are you still struggling with this topic of forgiveness? Perhaps it’s because you’ve never personally experienced God’s grace and forgiveness in your life. Don’t wait any longer; discover what the incredible freedom of forgiveness in Jesus Christ can do in your life. Discover the supernatural power of God’s forgiveness. He’ll give you this same supernatural power to forgive others.

boldstardex

Staff member
The Heart of Christ
August 9, 2017

Read: Exodus 32:21–32 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 77–78; Romans 10

Please forgive their sin—but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written. Exodus 32:32

An Australian journalist who spent 400 days in an Egyptian jail expressed mixed emotions when he was released. While admitting his relief, he said he accepted his freedom with incredible concern for the friends he was leaving behind. He said he found it extremely hard to say goodbye to fellow reporters who had been arrested and jailed with him—not knowing how much longer they were going to be held.

Moses also expressed great anxiety at the thought of leaving friends behind. When faced with the thought of losing the brother, sister, and nation that had worshiped a golden calf while he was meeting with God on Mount Sinai (Ex. 32:11–14), he interceded for them. Showing how deeply he cared, he pled, “But now, please forgive their sin—but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written” (v. 32).

Father in heaven, thank You for being willing to live—and die—for us.
The apostle Paul later expressed a similar concern for family, friends, and nation. Grieving their unbelief in Jesus, Paul said he would be willing to give up his own relationship with Christ if by such love he could save his brothers and sisters (Rom. 9:3).

Looking back, we see that Moses and Paul both expressed the heart of Christ. Yet, the love they could only feel, and the sacrifice they could only offer, Jesus fulfilled—to be with us forever.

Father in heaven, thank You for reminding us how much it is like You to be willing to live—and die—for those who have not yet seen how much You love them.

Caring for others honors Jesus’s love for us.

boldstardex

Staff member
Our Father’s Face
August 10, 2017

Read: Psalm 80 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 79–80; Romans 11:1–18

Restore us, O God; make your face shine on us, that we may be saved. Psalm 80:3

I remember my father’s face. It was hard to read. He was a kind man, but stoic and self-contained. As a child, I often searched his face, looking for a smile or other show of affection. Faces are us. A frown, a sullen look, a smile, and crinkly eyes reveal what we feel about others. Our faces are our “tell.”

Asaph, the author of Psalm 80, was distraught and wanted to see the Lord’s face. He looked north from his vantage point in Jerusalem and saw Judah's sister-state, Israel, collapse under the weight of the Assyrian Empire. With her buffer state gone, Judah was vulnerable to invasion from all sides—Assyria from the north, Egypt from the south, and the Arab nations from the east. She was outnumbered and outmatched.

Restore us, O God; make your face shine on us, that we may be saved. Psalm 80:3
Asaph gathered up his fears in a prayer, three times repeated (80:3, 7, 19), “Make your face shine on us, that we may be saved.” (Or, in other words, let me see Your smile.)

It’s good to look away from our fears and search our heavenly Father’s face. The best way to see God’s face is to look at the cross. The cross is His “tell” (John 3:16).

So know this: When your Father looks at you, He has a great big smile on His face. You’re very safe!

Ask God to shine His face on you. For further help in prayer, try praying this Psalm or others.

Tell us what your favorite Psalm is and encourage others: Facebook.com/ourdailybread.

God’s love for us is as expansive as the open arms of Christ on the cross.

By David H. Roper | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
Today’s psalm asks God to restore Israel—to make His face shine on them so they may be saved. Where have you seen God’s hand saving and restoring you and your loved ones?

boldstardex

Staff member
Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. John 11:32

As we exited the parking lot, my husband slowed the car to wait for a young woman riding her bike. When Tom nodded to indicate she could go first, she smiled, waved, and rode on. Moments later, the driver from a parked SUV threw his door open, knocking the young bicyclist to the pavement. Her legs bleeding, she cried as she examined her bent-up bike.

Later, we reflected on the accident: If only we had made her wait . . . If only the driver had looked before opening his door. If only . . . Difficulties catch us up in a cycle of second-guessing ourselves. If only I had known my child was with teens who were drinking . . . If only we had found the cancer earlier . . .

When unexpected trouble comes, we sometimes question the goodness of God. We may even feel the despair that Martha and Mary experienced when their brother died. Oh, if Jesus had only come when He first found out that Lazarus was sick! (John 11:21, 32).

Like Martha and Mary, we don’t always understand why hard things happen to us. But we can rest in the knowledge that God is working out His purposes for a greater good. In every circumstance, we can trust the wisdom of our faithful and loving God.

Father, You have carried me through hard circumstances before. Thank You for teaching me to trust Your heart of love even when I don’t understand what You are doing in my life.

For encouragement read, Why? Seeing God in Our Pain at discoveryseries.org/cb151.

To trust God in the light is nothing, but to trust Him in the dark—that is faith. Charles Haddon Spurgeon

By Cindy Hess Kasper | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
Jesus’s absence is what greatly troubled Mary and Martha. They cried, “Lord, . . . if you had been here” (John 11:21, 32). But God has promised, “Never will I leave you”(Heb. 13:5). We may not understand why hard things happen, but in confident trust we can say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid” (v. 6). Sim Kay Tee

boldstardex

Staff member
"Where is He who has been born King of the Jews?" - Matthew 2:2a

LOOKING FOR JESUS ALL YEAR LONG
August 13, 2017

Truth-seeking requires persistence and humility. There are all sorts of seekers out there today, searching for truth and the answer to life.

Some of the first “seekers” were three guys from the East who were searching for meaning and truth. God spoke to them through the heavens with the appearance of a new star. They stepped out on faith, believing that what they were seeing signified the birth of a new king. Along the way, God spoke to them through Scripture, prophesying the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. They stepped out on faith and went there, seeking.

When they arrived, they found the answer to life in a little boy named Jesus. They believed He was God who had become a man…and our Savior.

Now, you might be thinking this seems like it should be a Christmas devotion. But seeking the Savior is valid 365 days a year. These wise men found what every seeker needs today-Jesus, the answer to life.

Would you describe yourself as a seeker?

boldstardex

Staff member
Under His Wings
August 15, 2017

Read: Psalm 91 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 91–93; Romans 15:1–13

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge. Psalm 91:4

When I think of protection, I don’t automatically think of a bird’s feathers. Though a bird’s feathers might seem like a flimsy form of protection, there is more to them than meets the eye.

Bird feathers are an amazing example of God’s design. Feathers have a smooth part and a fluffy part. The smooth part of the feather has stiff barbs with tiny hooks that lock together like the prongs of a zipper. The fluffy part keeps a bird warm. Together both parts of the feather protect the bird from wind and rain. But many baby birds are covered in a fluffy down and their feathers haven’t fully developed. So a mother bird has to cover them in the nest with her own feathers to protect them from wind and rain.

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge. Psalm 91:4
The image of God “[covering] us with his feathers” in Psalm 91:4 and in other Bible passages (see Ps. 17:8) is one of comfort and protection. The image that comes to mind is a mother bird covering her little ones with her feathers. Like a parent whose arms are a safe place to retreat from a scary storm or a hurt, God’s comforting presence provides safety and protection from life’s emotional storms.

Though we go through trouble and heartache, we can face them without fear as long as our faces are turned toward God. He is our “refuge” (91:2, 4, 9).

Father God, help me trust that You are bigger than any fear I have.

Our Daily Bread welcomes writer Linda Washington! Meet Linda and all our authors at odb.org/all-authors

When fear causes hope to fade, flee to God, the refuge you can reach on your knees.

By Linda Washington | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
Psalm 91 is a beautiful expression of confidence in the Lord’s presence and protection. The writer speaks of both physical protection (from arrows, disease, pestilence, plague) and emotional protection from the evils and disasters happening all around (vv. 5–6). But this psalm is also a conversation. The Lord responds to the faith of those who trust Him by saying, “I will rescue him” (v. 14). J.R. Hudberg

boldstardex

Staff member
‘"The man who hates and divorces his wife,” says the Lord, the God of Israel, 'does violence to the one he should protect,' says the Lord Almighty. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful.’"

Malachi 2: 16

BREAKING DOWN DIVORCE
August 15, 2017

Is divorce wrong? Is it ever necessary? If so, when? If not, why not? What about remarriage? These questions alone can cause a lot of tension, because so many individuals have been impacted on some level by divorce. Whether you’ve gone through a divorce yourself or you’re the child of divorce – divorce is painful and incredibly complicated. So what does Jesus say about this very personal and relevant topic?

1. God intends marriage to be for life. That is His desire. For those who are married, this requires asking daily for God’s help in being unselfish enough to commit to our marriage for the rest of our lives (Matthew 19:4-6).
  2. Because of sin, God allows divorce. God hates divorce, but allows it for TWO reasons according to the teaching of Jesus and Scripture: sexual immorality (Matthew 19:9) and when an unbelieving spouse deserts a believer (1 Corinthians 7:7-10). In these cases, the believer is no longer bound by that marriage.
  3. Jesus desires reconciliation. Even though there are very real reasons for divorce, Jesus always desires reconciliation if at all possible in an estranged marriage relationship (Matthew 6:14-15).
If your marriage is struggling, ask God for the courage and grace to work at it, especially on the tough days. If you’ve been divorced, allow God to work in your heart and life. Because no matter our past, God’s love and forgiveness covers our sins, regrets, mistakes and even broken marriages. Let God work through your pain and regret and seek His will for your life. Leave the past and future in His hands and be willing to venture forward in faith – wherever God may lead.

boldstardex

Staff member
Our Guilt Is Gone
August 23, 2017

Read: Psalm 32:1–11 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 113–115; 1 Corinthians 6

I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin. Psalm 32:5

As a young girl, I invited a friend to browse with me through a gift shop near my home. She shocked me, though, by shoving a handful of colorful crayon-shaped barrettes into my pocket and yanking me out the door of the shop without paying for them. Guilt gnawed at me for a week before I approached my mom—my confession pouring out as quickly as my tears.

Grieved over my bad choice of not resisting my friend, I returned the stolen items, apologized, and vowed never to steal again. The owner told me never to come back. But because my mom forgave me and assured me that I had done my best to make things right, I slept peacefully that night.

I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin. Psalm 32:5
King David also rested in forgiveness through confession (Ps. 32:1–2). He had hidden his sins against Bathsheba and Uriah (2 Sam. 11–12) until his “strength was sapped” (Ps. 32:3–4). But once David refused to “cover up” his wrongs, the Lord erased his guilt (v. 5). God protected him “from trouble” and wrapped him in “songs of deliverance” (v. 7). David rejoiced because the “Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in him” (v. 10).

We can’t choose the consequences of our sins or control people’s responses when we confess and seek forgiveness. But the Lord can empower us to enjoy freedom from the bondage of sin and peace through confession, as He confirms that our guilt is gone—forever.

Lord, when we confess our sins and receive Your forgiveness, please help us believe our guilt is completely and forever wiped away.

When God forgives, our guilt is gone.

By Xochitl Dixon | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
A burdened conscience is a heavy weight to carry. Ever since the fall of man in the garden of Eden, our response to sin has been either to blame others (Gen. 3:12–13) or take responsibility for our transgression before God (1 John 1:9). The penitent in today’s psalm acknowledges his transgressions to his Creator and Redeemer and experiences the cleansing of his conscience and with it the lifting of a burdensome load. Clearly this psalm teaches us that we can experience freedom from the bondage of sin through divine forgiveness.

When has guilt and remorse racked your soul? How did God’s forgiveness and cleansing provide freedom? Dennis Fisher

boldstardex

Staff member
The Interests of Others
August 24, 2017

Read: Philippians 2:1–11 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 116–118; 1 Corinthians 7:1–19

In humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests. Philippians 2:3–4

My friend Jaime works for a huge international corporation. In his early days with the company, a man came by his desk, struck up a conversation, and asked Jaime what he did there. After telling the man about his work, Jaime asked the man his name. “My name is Rich,” he replied.

“Nice to meet you,” Jaime answered. “And what do you do around here?”

In humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests. Philippians 2:3–4
“Oh, I am the owner.”

Jaime suddenly realized that this casual, humble conversation was his introduction to one of the richest men in the world.

In this day of self-glorification and the celebration of “me,” this little story can serve as a reminder of Paul’s important words in the book of Philippians: “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit” (2:3). People who turn their attention to others and not on themselves have the characteristics Paul mentions.

When we “value others above [ourselves],” we demonstrate Christlike humility (v. 3). We mirror Jesus, who came not “to be served, but to serve” (Mark 10:45). When we take “the very nature of a servant” (Phil. 2:7), we have the mindset of Jesus (v. 5).

As we interact with others today, let’s not look on our own interests alone but also “to the interests of the others” (v. 4).

Jesus, You gave us the model of humility when You left heaven’s splendors to become a humble servant on earth. Help us practice Christlike humility in everything we do.

Serve God by serving others.

By Dave Branon | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
Many scholars believe the apostle Paul embedded an early hymn in his letter to the Philippians. Chapter 2:6–11 is comprised of six couplets that seem to lend themselves to an ancient form of singing. These carefully crafted lines show what it means to believe in and follow Christ. In stark contrast to other kings of the world, Jesus gave up the glory and honor of heaven to be crowned with the thorns and mockery of His crucifixion. Instead of using others for His own pleasure, He sacrificed Himself to lovingly come to our rescue.

Christ’s selfless sacrifice impacted Paul. He mirrored what Christ suffered for us when he showed his willingness to suffer for others.

In what ways can we show self-sacrificing love to others? Mart DeHaan

boldstardex

Staff member
Lured Away
August 25, 2017

Read: James 1:5–6, 12–15 | Bible in a Year: Psalm 119:1–88; 1 Corinthians 7:20–40
Each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. James 1:14

In the summer of 2016, my niece convinced me to play Pokémon Go—a game played on a smartphone, using the phone’s camera. The object of the game is to capture little creatures called Pokémon. When one appears in the game, a red and white ball also appears on the phone’s screen. To capture a Pokémon, the player has to flick the ball toward it with the movement of a finger. Pokémon are more easily caught, however, by using a lure to attract them.

Pokémon characters aren’t the only ones who can be lured away. In his New Testament letter to believers, James, the brother of Jesus, reminds us that we “are dragged away by [our] own evil desire” (1:14, emphasis added). In other words, our desires work with temptation to lure us down a wrong path. Though we may be tempted to blame God or even Satan for our problems, our real danger lies within.

We can escape the lure of temptation by talking to God about the things that tempt us.
But there is good news. We can escape the lure of temptation by talking to God about the things that tempt us. Though “God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone,” as James explains in 1:13, He understands our human desire to do what’s wrong. We have only to ask for the wisdom God promised to provide (1:1–6).

Lord, when I’m tempted, show me the door of escape.

Pray your way past the urge to do wrong.

By Linda Washington | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
The word translated “tempted” or “tempting” (used four times in James 1:13) comes from the Greek word peirasmos, which has two basic meanings. The first is to test the genuineness of one’s faith. This is the meaning in verses 2–4 when James encourages believers who are tempted to rejoice because “the testing of your faith” brings maturity. The second meaning, “to entice to sin or to do evil,” is intended in verses 13–15. God will not tempt or entice us to sin. His perfect holiness, purity, and goodness ensure this. Instead, the enticement to sin comes from our own sinful desires. This is the meaning of peirasmos in Matthew 26:38–41. In the garden of Gethsemane, as Christ was struggling with the necessity of going to the cross, He asked His disciples to pray with Him; instead, they slept. Jesus cautioned, “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation” (v. 41). As we turn our temptations over to God in prayer, He will “provide a way out so that [we] can endure it” (1 Cor. 10:13).

For further study on this subject, reflect on Psalm 119:9–11. What do these verses say will help us overcome temptation? Sim Kay Tee

boldstardex

Staff member
The Snake and the Tricycle
August 26, 2017

Read: Luke 1:1–4 | Bible in a Year: Psalm 119:89–176; 1 Corinthians 8

I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning. Luke 1:3

For years, I had retold a story from a time in Ghana when my brother and I were toddlers. As I recalled it, he had parked our old iron tricycle on a small cobra. The trike was too heavy for the snake, which remained trapped under the front wheel.

But after my aunt and my mother had both passed away, we discovered a long-lost letter from Mom recounting the incident. In reality, I had parked the tricycle on the snake, and my brother had run to tell Mom. Her eyewitness account, written close to the actual event, revealed the reality.

Jesus came to give us peace with God.
The historian Luke understood the importance of accurate records. He explained how the story of Jesus was “handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses” (Luke 1:2). “I too decided to write an orderly account for you,” he wrote to Theophilus, “so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught” (vv. 3–4). The result was the gospel of Luke. Then, in his introduction to the book of Acts, Luke said of Jesus, “After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive” (Acts 1:3).

Our faith is not based on hearsay or wishful thinking. It is rooted in the well-documented life of Jesus, who came to give us peace with God. His Story stands.

Father, our hope is in Your Son. Thank You for preserving His story for us in the pages of the Bible.

Genuine faith is rooted in reason.

By Tim Gustafson | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
Luke was a highly educated physician in the Greek academic tradition. As a result, his word choice and grammar are eloquent and descriptive. Today’s reading is an introduction to his narrative of the life of Christ. We can be assured that what Luke writes is not based on hearsay but is deeply rooted in a well-documented eyewitnessrecord of Jesus as the Christ. Luke acknowledges that other trustworthy biographies of Jesus of Nazareth had preceded his account. But he felt compelled to write his own eyewitness narrative. It’s interesting to note that the book is addressed to Theophilus, which in Greek means “lover of God.” Most believe Theophilus was an actual person, but others say this name is a term that could refer to any of us who are lovers of God and yearn to learn more about His dear Son.

How does knowing eyewitnesses wrote the Gospel accounts of Christ encourage you in your spiritual life?

boldstardex

Staff member
Overflowing Fruit
August 29, 2017

Read: Galatians 5:16–25 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 126–128; 1 Corinthians 10:19–33

I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. John 15:16

During the spring and summer, I admire the fruit growing in our neighbor’s yard. Their cultivated vines climb a shared fence to produce large bunches of grapes. Branches dotted with purple plums and plump oranges dangle just within our reach.

Although we don’t till the soil, plant the seeds, or water and weed the garden, the couple next door shares their bounty with us. They take responsibility for nurturing their crops and allow us to delight in a portion of their harvest.

The fruit of the Spirit changes us so we can impact the lives of those around us.
The produce from the trees and vines on the other side of our fence reminds me of another harvest that benefits me and the people God places in my life. That harvest is the fruit of the Spirit.

Christ-followers are commissioned to claim the benefits of living by the power of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:16–21). As God’s seeds of truth flourish in our hearts, the Spirit produces an increase in our ability to express “love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” (vv. 22–23).

Once we surrender our lives to Jesus, we no longer have to be controlled by our self-centered inclinations (v. 24). Over time, the Holy Spirit can change our thinking, our attitudes, and our actions. As we grow and mature in Christ, we can have the added joy of loving our neighbors by sharing the benefits of His generous harvest.

Lord, please cultivate the fruit of the Spirit in our hearts and minds so our neighbors can enjoy Your sweet fragrance in and through our lives.

The fruit of the Spirit changes us so we can impact the lives of those around us.

By Xochitl Dixon | See Other Authors
INSIGHT:
As followers of Christ it’s easy to project an image to those around us that we don’t struggle with sin. But God knows better. The war between good and evil that began eons ago continues today within the believer’s heart. Even though we are redeemed and will one day reign with Christ, we experience the daily struggle between obedience and disobedience. In today’s reading, Paul lists the kinds of attitudes and behaviors that characterize our fallen nature. But he also lists those godly qualities that reflect Christ’s own character and are pleasing to God. The challenge of the Christian life is to yield our hearts to the control and direction of the Holy Spirit so we will bear fruit that is honoring to God and benefits those around us.

Can you think of a time when your choice to yield to the Spirit ministered to others? Dennis Fisher