1. Lets Play Games now at YamahaT150 ARCADE
    Click Here to play
  2. If your have CLUB EVENTS/RIDE & would like to announce it here,
    Message traxxas-modifier about it :-)
    Dismiss Notice

What Is The Best Tire Federal, Dunlop, Corsa, Mizzle, Or Michelin? For Both Front And Rear Tire.

Discussion in 'T150 & T135 General Topics' started by Marco Narciso, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Philippines
    I assume you are not a racer because that big tires with such a small engine will make your bike slow, specially during acceleration. It will also make handling sluggish. Am I right?

tabi1 likes this.
  2. tabi1

tabi1 Super Veteran

Location (city/province):
    Angeles City
    Philippines
    Well when you assume things usually you are wrong. First off you dont know me or the the bike. The bike is loaded with all the best goodies from UMA, the bike runs like a raped cat and handles great. Pretty much every part on the bike has been changed including suspension so your "assumption" is way off. Ask anyone who knows me and i would be willing to bet they will tell you i ride as hard as anyone. As for experience personally i have owned or ridden many 4 & 6 cylinder liter plus sized motorcycles including custom choppers during my 35 plus years of "Legal" riding all over the world. I have ridden coast to coast in the USA as well as numerous countries and have even rode a dirt bike in Kabul Afghanistan (not many foreigners can say that).

You do realize that those skinny little tires are your lifeline right? Have you ever seen a real drag bike and no i am not talking a single cylinder underbone i am talking real muscle, something in the 1000 plus CC's? Do they put tiny tires on them, heck no and there's a good reason why they dont. You can cut weight with your tiny tires all you want bro, but personally i know i would do the opposite by installing the best horsepower things i can do if i wanted the bike to be a daily driver plus fast. Tires are not the place to cut corners and if you want to build a real "race bike" then buy real race tires and use them at the track only. Everyone has different likes and dislikes but no matter what you should always be thinking more towards safety. I rode large touring bikes for years in the states and these were really big $'s (20K USD plus at the low end). Whenever i bought a new one I always paid the extra $1k for the ABS version of the touring bike and skipped on so much of the wasted chrome and "pretty mods" as i preferred paying the 1k for my safety versus some "pretty chrome". That's just me, but when it comes to 2 wheels you shouldn't put your life on the line for just trying to look "cool". Trust me you could upgrade 2 sizes on your tire and how much would you lose, seriously? The other factor is the rider. I have seen guys on much more powerful bikes be smoked by guys on smaller less powerful bikes just due to the level of rider skills.

Here's the build of the bike so you get a clearer picture of things.

http://www.yamahat135.com/threads/new-ride-new-looks.17130/

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Topkick likes this.
  3. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Philippines
    You talk like an expert.

Common sense will tell you that two identical setup bike with different tire size will not run as fast. The one with lighter tires can accelerate faster than the one with a heavier tire. You dont need to brag about what you have done or experience because what i am saying is base on science. I agree that wider tires will have more grip in cornering and braking but heavier to run.

Look at moto gp, different displacement bikes use different tires. There is low of diminishing returns, there is a point where you dont need to go wider since bike can no longer go faster. Maybe for 200 hp or more, you can use the widest tire possible but for your set up which is definitely under 200hp, the super wide tire is not needed because of the added weight. You dont need that much rubber.

Check out the lower displacement racing division, they dont use the same tires as the 500cc division.

Wider tires allows you to stop and corner faster, while a narrower tire allows you to accelerate faster. Therfore, there is an ideal size for every setup, wider will not always give you a faster lap time.

re upgrading 2 sizes, actual test on track will be the best measure if it does improve your lap time.

I know that its the rider not the bike, specially for track. My assumption is the same rider and bike, will wider tires always result in faster time? Not always. So stop pretending to be an expert.

tabi1 likes this.
  4. tabi1

tabi1 Super Veteran

Angeles City
    Philippines
    I don't pretend to be anything, but everything i say i can back up with by 35 years of experience and probably 500,000 miles (not kilometers either) on motorcycles. Motorcycles (specifically long distance riding - Iron Butt Association) has been my love for a long time. I am not bragging, just voicing my opinion on the topic.

You are the newbie here, so i dont have to prove anything to you. If you want to know about me instead of making more assumptions ask the fellow old timers here about me. Several of these guys have met me in person and can vouch for the type of person and rider i am.

I was the only foreigner at the first Unity Ride in 2015 and I bet there has never ever been another foreigner on those rides which speaks volumes for me as a person and as a rider.

The whole point i was trying to make was that the more rubber you have the safer but if you want to run around on tiny little tires go for it.

If you got anything else to "debate" or questions, send me a PM.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  5. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Philippines
    Why should it be pm? This is a forum for everybody to discuss. Your experience appears to be touring not racing. I did not say that thinner tire is safer. I only said that too heavy tires is not good for racing nor very thin tires. There is an optimal set up for every bike and track. Track with long straights and few turns will probably need thinner tires while low speed tracks with lots of turns will probably need wider tires. You maybe an old timer here but that does not mean you have monopoly of knowledge.

Can you dispute any of my statements? Like I disputed your claim that wider tires is better for all conditions? Remember this, statement with always better is generally false.

Stop using your experience as your only basis for being expert, try interviewing real racers and research. Your experience can't be more true than several racers with several years of experience. In fact, racers consult with their mechanics, they don't rely on their own experience exclusively.

6. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Philippines
    Btw, I don't need to consult with you since your knowledge is limited to your experience and not base on science. You can support your statement with facts and logic, no need to cite your age, mileage etc.

7. tabi1

tabi1 Super Veteran

Angeles City
    Philippines
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I will try and make this as quick and to the point as possible and then I am done here.

1.) Yes, you are correct if using science small tires equal less weight and should increase your speed, the key word here is "should" as there are still lots of variables. But as i stated earlier i would do other things to get the increases in speed instead of sacrificing on tires, if i was so set on making more speed, but that's just me.
    2.) If the bike was strictly a race bike, cool beans go for it, but most everyone on this site have their bike and it's used to get groceries, for picking up their kids from school etc. so i don't think the tiny tires is the thing you want to be using all the time. All i can picture is a pouring down rain and you got this tiny footprint of a tire trying to keep you upright.
    3.) Modify your bike how you see fit, same as i have done, either way doesn't make one right or wrong it just means we have different opinions on things and/or have different values of importance.

If you really want to continue then PM me as i said earlier as this topic is a wrap in my books.

My apologies to the TS, didn't mean to get your topic off track.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  8. razor_max

razor_max New Member

Malaysia
    chill my friend...
    i feel you...

Zulu likes this.
  9. zarathos

zarathos Veteran

caloocan, fairview
    Philippines
    And the question was about best tires. Not a person who have the highest ego.

Idiots.

T.S.

I 'd go for Corsa.

10. snipermxmalayaklan

snipermxmalayaklan Super Veteran

Aklan
    Philippines
  11. Topkick

Topkick Veteran

Las Pinas